Tipping & Lawden, any info? (now with pics)

Sardaukar

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
So i'm making my debut in the antique/blackpowder world with a Tipping & Lawden 12ga percussion cap SxS shotgun. I'm looking at any info on this company and the guns they produced. So far i've got:

-They're from Birmingham and they're one of the founding gunmakers of BSA.
-They got bought by Webley&Scott in 1887.
-They produced a lot of 'pepperbox' derringers.

and that's about it.

Can anyone point me to some info, on the web or a book, anything is welcome.

Edit: Now with pics!

pix194947468.jpg


pix194947281.jpg


pix194947562.jpg


pix194947328.jpg
 
Last edited:
They made some oddball(by American standards) break action single shots, and Rook type rifles that were used on the frontier, including some in the bigger buffler type calibers, but quite rare as folks on the trail preferred the Sharps, Rolling Blocks and esp. Winchesters of the period.
 
Anything about percussion shotguns?

This one looks like an export gun. There is a faint marking that says 'Tipping & Lawden, London'. They were not from London but Birmingham. They only had a store in London. I imagine it was a slight embelishment of the truth that a north american man would not notice...
 
Here is a Tipping and Lawden as a .64 cal rifle with a spare shotgun barrel. As a rifle it seems to be accurate and is light and pleasant to shoot

cheers mooncoon

TippingLawdenprofileb.jpg


TippingLawdenlockb.jpg
 
Beautiful old things.

Yup! That's what what brought me to buy something I basically have no knowledge of how to use.

This gun killed its first bird about 150 years ago. It could have been bought new by the father of my grandfather's grandfather!! I intend to keep it doing what it was made for. Now I have all summer to learn the ropes of it and the grouse better hang on for their lives this fall!!
 
Back
Top Bottom