To ballistic tip or not to balistic tip...

I've shot deer with both the 130 gr BT in a .270 Win and the 140 gr BT in the 7x57 Mauser.The BT is an accurate bullet,but a bit on the tender side.I've never recovered a full classic mushroom BT from an animal,but kills were quick. It brings up the old question;at what point in the death of the deer did the bullet fail?
 
Nosler BT work great out of my 25-06 on deer, I'm also using Nosler Accubonds, also plastic tips, for moose out of the 300WM. They also work great :D

Plastic tips keep the bullets from getting deformed, I tried some factroy PSP ammo originally out of my 300WM when it was new and I just shooting paper to break in teh barrel and get some fireformed brass for reloading. After the first round was fired the other rounds in the mag had flat tips, and each round the tips got flatter.
 
I ended up getting some 180gr accubonds for my main round. The guy at the store said that it is a little much for deer but with the pastic tip they open much faster then the soft points do. So it still won't pinhole deer. Thoughts?
 
I've gone to the Accubond for all of my normal big game hunting, in all calibers. I also like the Partitions for bigger stuff, mostly because I have lots of them and my 338's like them. I stopped using the BT's as they kept blowing up; it didn't seem to matter what caliber, or what I did WRT adjusting velocities, bullet weights, etc. I use what I have left for barrel break in, punching paper, etc., but never for hunting.

Gord
 
Back
Top Bottom