Total muzzleloader newbie questions

huntingfish

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Location
Quebec City
Howdy,
The father-in-law has a piece of land which has a couple of deers on it (and it's his primary residence as well!). We usually go elsewhere and hunt moose and we've been pretty lucky in the past. But I figured that if we strike out on the mooses, I'd be interested in getting us a deer. Thing is, there's no rifle season in the zone he's in, so I'd either have to go with a crossbow (2 weeks season I believe) or muzzleloader (1 weekend only).

I'm more tempted to go the ML route. Not sure why, but they look so cool ;-)
The thing is, I don't know much about them. I was wondering if I could ask you guys a couple of questions.

- Seeing as it's a short season (1 weekend only) and I'd only go if we strike out during moose season, I'm not looking to spend a lot of money on a ML. I've seen kits go for 300$ (incl. a scope! lol). I know they can't be that great, could could they do the job? I figure I would fire the thing a couple of times per summer and autumn to get a bit of practice.
- What exactly is the strict minimum one needs to be able to shot: rifle (incl. ramrod), sabot/bullet, powder and primers. Anything else? Something to start the bullet into the barrel?
- What does borebutter do and do you absolutely need some? Is it to ease the sabot/bullet into the barrel or is it to create an airtight seal around the breech so black powder can't get into the threads (I se em to recall reading about this, but I could wrong: Maybe there's another product for this instead?)
- Can any inline ML use pellets? Is there any cons to using pellets? I would much rather use pellets than have to measure black powder. I've seen normal and magnum pellets, but is that the only difference?
- Do you need a scope or could you get away with firesights? Guess it depends on the range of the shots you'd have to do.

At thing point, there's nothing in terms of features that are "must have", since I want to keep things on the low side as far as money goes. Any one could recommend good "gets the job done" ML that won't break the bank (sub 300$)?

Cheers!

Fish
 
Back
Top Bottom