Totally smitten by the 1886 but relatively clueless - looking for good advice

Not that I am aware of 348WCF or 45-70 only. They might have a custom shop you could order through.
38-55 WCF was a regular chambering in the model 94, there are lots of those around.
 
Thanks for all the great comments from such knowledgeable folks. I've pretty well decided to save up and hold out for an old one - I've come to realize that's half the fun for me, holding something with so much history behind it.
Also, thank you to those who suggested I look into other calibers than the 45-70. I've been doing some research and my eyes are now opened to the possibilities. Easyrider has been incredibly generous and has offered to loan me his 45-90. I'm looking forward to collecting everything I'll need to start rolling my own.

I noticed an 1886, in 40-60 I think, on the EE. Been trying to learn more about this cartridge. Does anyone have any experience with it? How hard is it to reload? I've heard you can resize 45-70 cases but not sure how easy that would be to do.

I've also heard that you can draw a 45-70 case to make a 45-90. Anyone know about that? Can't seem to find info on Google.

Good shooting, everyone!
 
And repro will scratch the itch, but you'll never really be happy. I did one worse and bought a Marlin. I was never happy with it because it wasn't an 1886. Sold the Marlin and although I haven't replaced it yet, I'm happier already.
 
I would take 45-70 over 444 any day, but I would realy like one in 50-110 WCF![/QUOTE

Interesting story on one of those. There was an original "deluxe" (very deluxe I might add) model at an auction (Alberta) I attended years ago. The gun was ogled and drooled over by dozens of us at the viewing, I know some thought the gun would be going home with them...then the auction started...the gun started at $1,000, and then, once started, climbed at $5,000 per bid. There were two Americans there that went nuts on that rifle...it didn't stop until it reached $29,000 (this was back in the seventies). I overheard the two Americans talking later, it seems the gun was serial # to Teddy Roosevelt's personal property in one of his declarations of ownership during Office and they had both stumbled onto this fact.

I know these days $29,000 wouldn't be an astounding price for that gun (prob 10x that now) but back then there were a lot of heads shaking at the purchase price.
 
Back
Top Bottom