Traditions vs Pedersoli

dak47

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thats it, going to get into the BP game in earnest...... Going to go flintlock because if your going to go primitive (yes, I bow hunt) might as well start at the beginning. Looking for an excuse to go see some friends on the coast and The Big Box Store in Abby has Traditions flints on sale or spend basically double for a Pedersoli? I do like quality kit and will spend for it but the BP game is completely foreign to me so I was wondering if the upgrade in price is worth it for a smoke pole that will basically just be a novelty at the cabin with the kids but I still want tight groups and be able to hand it down.....

Dirk
 
The thing about flintlocks is get the best quality lock you can afford or you will be highly disappointed and frustrated.Pedersoli guns are good ,I have two one of them a flint Mortimer 12ga but they are getting quite expensive and for close to the same price you can easily buy a nice flintlock from the States just take a look at Track of the Wolf or the muzzleloading emporium for example
 
I would echo Chasseur's thoughts on quality flint lock locks. Cheap locks are an exercise in frustration. I would suggest starting with a cap lock because there is a lot of learning in shooting a flintlock and you should have less frustration by starting with a percussion gun and then going to flint. I suppose one option would be if you can buy a replacement quality lock from Track of the Wolf or Dixie and put that into your choice of Traditions or Pedersoli. By replacement I mean a lock which will drop right into the gun that you buy

cheers mooncoon
 
We have a few around here. My traditions Pennsylvania flinter is one of my favorites. My favorite percussion rifle is a Minardi, not to many have heard of them but it was the best buy I ever made from Becky.
Depending on when it was made some smokepoles can be a incredible bargain.
 
As said, buy the best lock you can afford. Rock locks are amazing fun but are more art than science to get sparking well.

The pedersoli locks are good. But even then mine took some tuning to get sparking optimally. It always went bang but now it goes bang faster.

I was a complete novice at muzzleloading when I bought my Pedersoli Jaeger, but it's not rocket surgery. Tons of info on the web, indeed Pedersoli themselves have a great guide to optimizing your lock written by the gent from Cap and Ball I think. Within a few weeks I was up on the learning curve, and it was a fun process. Very very fun rifle to shoot.
 
My traditions 50 cal "tenesse" pa flinter is one of the neatest shootin irons i have ever owned. Compact, light, and despite what others say about them, a very reliable action that rarely fails and holds powder well. Shoots ff or fff.
 
I agree with Mooncoon, its better to start with a caplock. But if you do choose to go with a flint first dont forget about a Lyman Great Plains rifle. They are very accurate and there locks tend to be no better or worse than any else out there.

Trevor
 
probably worth mentioning that the frizzens on most import flintlocks are case hardened mild steel. That includes guns sold under the name of american import firms. Point being is that if your gun stops sparking even with a sharp flint, it probably means that you need to recase the frizzen

cheers mooncoon
 
I have a Pedersoli Frontier rifle flintlock in 50 cal. It has a large lock that sparks well and is an excellent flintlock.

acemen
 
Back
Top Bottom