Traditions vs TC vs CVA

chadw90

New member
Rating - 100%
30   0   1
Location
saskatchewan
Im looking into a muzzleloader for draw mule deer. Ive been watching cabelas and had my hands on a Remington UML but for the $1200 plus more $$$ for a scope, not sure its in my budget for something i may not like. I can always upgrade to it eventually.
So the three im looking at are
Traditions Pursuit G4 Ultralight on sale for $299.99
TC Impact on sale for $329.99 plus $75 mail in rebate.
CVA Accura MR on sale for $699.99.
All have 3-9x40 scopes.
I dont have a problem spending themoney on the CVA, only if $400 better than the other two.
Let me know what you think.
Thanks
 
I have been shooting/hunting muzzleloaders for going on to 35 years. Seen many guns come and go but the ones that remain and continue the hunt are Thompson Centre and Knight.

My 20 year old TC Encore is an example. Shoots as well as the first day I bought it and a lifetime warranty is useful first year gun went back as there was a blueing problem that was redone and I broke the stock, after 20 years this fall and an new walnut skirt is on the way. Incidentally, some epoxy and screws cobbled the stock well enough to hunt for 3 more days and would last for several more if not for the warranty.

Of your choices the Impact would be my choice if you want a gun to last a lifetime. If you want to flip it you will have no issue recovering your investment
 
I have the impact and highly recommend it. Very well built for the price point. I have the weathershield version with a warne steel base and QD rings along with a Nikon inline xr scope. Wicked accuracy. As far as packages go, 99% of the time, the scopes and mounts are trash.
 
i have 2 T/C and very satisfied [encore + prohunter ] my friends bought the CVA wolf muzzeloders for the first time and all are very satisfied ..i would not touch the Tradition i had 2 of them the Poursuit and the Prohunter the trigger pull was just horrible ..
 
T/C or bust... All kidding aside, I would take the T/C. They are better made, and the barrels are proofed for the loads they are rated for. For my decision, it is about quality and safety overall. I had a Traditions before, and while decent, I was only shooting soft loads through it for fun at the range. Here is a good little read.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/big_deal_about_proof.htm
 
I don't know about TC but my Traditions Pursuit LT has the Accelerator quick-release breech plug system and uses 209 Shotgun primers.

Both were part of why I bought it... and the trigger is fine.
 
2 encore (1original and 1 pro hunter both with pro hunter stocks) and an impact here at the moment. guess what i would recommend........
have owned 1 knight 1 traditions and 2 cva in the past before picking up my first encore. never looked back. didn't like the plastic jackets (disk's) on the knight, but very accurate, traditions was barrel heavy as well as the cva's i have owned and not nearly as accurate as my knight or any of the t/c's i own at the moment.
the impact has the standard original screw in breech plug same as the original encore. no problems with them, use the tool or a socket and wrachet. no problems
 
Back
Top Bottom