Trustworthy gunsmith for old 1894 in GTA-ish area

alberta5492

Member
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Hello,

Like the title says, I am looking for a good gunsmith that can be trusted to look over an early 1900's Winchester 1894 I picked up a while ago. Mostly to fix a feeding issue, and also to just go over it and make sure it is mechanically sound.

Let me know who you know :D
 
What's the "issue" with feeding? Normally these are pretty reliable; you get mis-feeds usually by short-stroking the action.

Screws tight? Elevator come up smartly?

Possibly weak Magazine Spring. Or corrosion or build-up at the rear end of the Magazine Tube. Or just crud in the action.

All kinds of fun with these.
 
I had pictures this rifle up in this forum when I first got it about a year ago, asking for opinions on it overall. With the help of some of the guys and looking it over when cycling it myself, it seems to be an issue with the cartridge guide. From what I've read, it is not an uncommon issue when it comes to feeding problems. Sounds like something that a good gunsmith could fix by taking it down, maybe just cleaning, or adjusting something. Just don't want to trust it to someone who sees it as just another gun to work on. When I cycle a round from the magazine, the tip of the bullet seems to jam up against the top of the bore/chamber (if I'm using the right description). but once I back the action up slightly (even just an inch), it will then put the round inthe chamber and slam shut. Happens on every round.
 
Like you said, maybe cartridge guides. You can check that the screws in the guides themselves are tight enough. They are screwed into the receiver from the inside out and sometimes loosen up. AWKWARD TO TIGHTEN, you will need a ratchet screwdriver like the Chapman kit that used to be popular or something similar.
 
Back
Top Bottom