I was going to clean my .45-70 casings after firing a bunch that I'd loaded with Pyrodex. My usual method is to decap, then immerse in plastic pail of hot water with liquid soap and a couple tablespoons of vinegar mixed in. I scrub each casing inside with a plastic cleaning brush, rince twice in plain hot water, and dry. I always wear heavy rubber gloves.
My supply of dollar-store dish soap being gone, I used some no-name soap my wife has in her cupboard of household cleaning supplies. The stuff looks just like Murphy's soap. Alas, a strong sulfur smell soon filled the workroom and then the furnace started up and spread the smell through the house.
When I checked the label on the soap bottle, sure enough: "Contains Sodium Hydroxide". Generally not a great idea to mix that with acid (vinegar).
The casings didn't seem to show any ill effects, but my family was none too pleased. My son claims it smelled like a combination of burnt powder, bore-butter, and beer farts. (Quite the imagination the lad has.)
I doubt that if I'd used black powder this would have made any difference, there's sulfur in the residue and the vinegar-NaOH reaction would have still occurred.
Lesson: stick to dish soap, and read labels!
My supply of dollar-store dish soap being gone, I used some no-name soap my wife has in her cupboard of household cleaning supplies. The stuff looks just like Murphy's soap. Alas, a strong sulfur smell soon filled the workroom and then the furnace started up and spread the smell through the house.
When I checked the label on the soap bottle, sure enough: "Contains Sodium Hydroxide". Generally not a great idea to mix that with acid (vinegar).
The casings didn't seem to show any ill effects, but my family was none too pleased. My son claims it smelled like a combination of burnt powder, bore-butter, and beer farts. (Quite the imagination the lad has.)
I doubt that if I'd used black powder this would have made any difference, there's sulfur in the residue and the vinegar-NaOH reaction would have still occurred.
Lesson: stick to dish soap, and read labels!



















































