Unusally Canadian Muzzleloader JJ Walker Simoce CW

WR1894

Regular
GunNutz
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Picked this gun up the other day for a friend, and isnt your usally percussion rifle, it was made by JJ Walker in Simcoe CW so before 1867, have look

[URL=http://s71.photobucket.com/user/WR1894/media/JJ%20Walker/IMG-20140725-00907_zps65d2cb18.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s71.photobucket.com/user/WR1894/media/JJ%20Walker/IMG-20140725-00908_zps10e6b838.jpg.html][/URL]

Now a close look the lock

[URL=http://s71.photobucket.com/user/WR1894/media/JJ%20Walker/IMG-20140725-00901_zps28fac62a.jpg.html][/URL]

So this gun was loaded with 2 charges one on top of the other and you pulled the front hammer back first

[URL=http://s71.photobucket.com/user/WR1894/media/JJ%20Walker/IMG-20140725-00905_zpsb60de25e.jpg.html][/URL]

Pulled the trigger and it shot the top load then you pulled the second hammer

[URL=http://s71.photobucket.com/user/WR1894/media/JJ%20Walker/IMG-20140725-00906_zps9aa8faa7.jpg.html][/URL]

You had the second shot, I now other gunsmiths had tried this but don't think it was to sucessfull, can you image the amout of pressure on the back load when you fired the front charge. Was told this is maybe one of two guns of this time made in Canada. It is about 40 cal. I didnt have it very long to get all the information on it but thought I take some quick pictures and show this odd gun. With any luck later in the year I may be able to get it again and will try to fire it but only one load off the back hammer. It would just be a experince to fire a piece of history like this
John
 
That is a very interesting rifle, I suppose if you used a well lubed wad between the charges it would work fine. If both charges were to go at the same time I think I would like to be some distance from it just in case.
 
Those superposed guns are definitely odd birds. It doesn't look like the allow for too heavy a charge for the loads, just eyeballing the distance between nipples.

Thanks for sharing the pictures, you dont see to many of a mule ear like that.
 
I picked the gun up at Epps's for my friend but I knew the estate it came out of. I have had and looked at a lot of original guns and mule ear styles aren't that common but that is the only gun like that i have handled and only seen a few pictures of these so knew that this was tried at different times. Always nice to be involved with a deal on a odd gun and have the chance to hamdle it. I hope to shoot it this summer yet but we will only fire one load.
 
Back
Top Bottom