US Policy on exporting Black Powder rifles and handguns???

chook

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
A fellow member assured me that he has brought back replica BP rifles from the US into Canada and that the US authorities don't consider them part of their export ban. I've tried to research this online and don't seem to find a definite answer on this. I believe the fellow Gunnut, but would like to hear it from others as well. Second question, (IF the US gov't doesn't care), is how would I go about bringing back a Pietta or Uberti reproduction 1851 to Canada, as I KNOW Canada would have a problem with this due to the registration process. I suspect I can't just show up at the border with the revolver and my RPAL and expect it to be okay. :confused:
 
That is true because in most states there's no licensing needed for BP (NY example) but... you still need to abide by canadian import rules.
 
About 3 months ago my dad took a Thompson Center Hawken black powder rifle down to my brother in Minnesota. There was no problem what so ever taking it across the border into the US.
 
Muzzleloading rifles, smoothbores and pistols/revolvers are not considered firearms by the US gov. However some state laws may consider them differently and you will require a DoJ back ground check. Check local laws.

What state are you considering buying it from? WA?

Pistols - If it is legal for you to purchase this muzzleloader in the local your are going to, before going call the CFO office and tell them you would like to bring this pistol back with you from the US and how long would it take for you to get the documents if you called them from the US. You will to get the make, model, barrel length, serial number, type of firearm, caliber etc. Ask if they will send you all the documents by email so that you can show Canada Customs when you declare it at the border. The CFO may also require that it be verified before being registered to you, ask them. If they do not register to you right away you will also need a STATT from the border crossing to your home or verifier. You may have to purchase it before going to get the required info and documents before you leave.

Call the CFO well before going and see what there current process is.

Rifle/smoothbores - Buy the desired muzzleloader and declare it at the border. The last two they never looked at. Always make sure that you have receipts that include the serial number in the event that you are questioned by any agency. I also write the time, date and crossing on the receipt that I brought it through just another just in case.

Check with the dealer or seller in WA if they require a back ground check for the pistol. WA Initiative-594 which was passed last Nov. has drawn some misunderstanding by some FFLs in WA and else where in regards to muzzleloaders and the I-594. I have not personally had any issues to date since it was passed.
 
Antiques not covered on your PAL/RPAL course?
Add the W's. .rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/powder-poudre-eng.htm
Reproduction BP handguns including matchlock, wheel lock and flintlock handguns made after 1898 and percussion lock BP firearm are not considered antiques in Canada. Same laws apply to 'em as any other firearm.
Flintlock(wheel lock and match lock) long guns are considered to be antique regardless of when they were made. No issues at the border, but you'll have to pay HST.
You cannot go Stateside for just a day and bring stuff back though. There's a set value amount by the amount of time you're Stateside. It's up to $800Cdn after 48 hours and up. Up to $200Cdn after 24 hours.
 
Sunray is correct to my knowledge.
Canadian law doesn't differentiate a modern reproduction percussion revolver or flintlock pistol from a Glock 17. Unless it's actually an antique, it's a restricted handgun all the same from a legal standpoint. Even if you can buy it in the US, I would do a lot of research into importation regulations in Canada.

I talked to one guy who imported some trap shotguns on his own and he said it took months. He had to go to the customs office a half dozen times in that period to sign more and more paperwork. A broker on the Canadian side can do all that for you for a fee as well.

Flintlock rifles can be brought both ways without much hassle as far as I have checked.
 
You cannot go Stateside for just a day and bring stuff back though. There's a set value amount by the amount of time you're Stateside. It's up to $800Cdn after 48 hours and up. Up to $200Cdn after 24 hours.

Yes you can. You will just have to pay the PST, HST and any applicable duties on the value of goods over the $200 exemption....... But again there is CBSA Agent discretion as well.....
 
Back
Top Bottom