value of old winchester

wsmnut67

Regular
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Location
kamloops
A coworker asked me if I new what his old winchester was worth,and I thought this was a good place to ask.It's a 38-40 oct.barrel I have not seen the gun yet but he says the barrel is quite long.It was left to him and is in a velvet lined case.He has some documentation with it and says it was made in 1896.Any help on a rough estimate wouldbe greatly appreciated.Thanks
 
A coworker asked me if I new what his old winchester was worth,and I thought this was a good place to ask.It's a 38-40 oct.barrel I have not seen the gun yet but he says the barrel is quite long.It was left to him and is in a velvet lined case.He has some documentation with it and says it was made in 1896.Any help on a rough estimate wouldbe greatly appreciated.Thanks

Get more info because what you just told us could not get anymore useless.

Things like model of gun, its condition and a picture are useful. Saying when it was made and that it has a long barrel is worthless.
 
The condition of the rifle is a major, major factor in value. Don't ever refinish an old rifle, as it will cut its value considerably. configuration of the rifle can also be a major factor. We really do need to see photos before we can give a guess that is even remotely close.
 
The condition of the rifle is a major, major factor in value. Don't ever refinish an old rifle, as it will cut its value considerably. configuration of the rifle can also be a major factor. We really do need to see photos before we can give a guess that is even remotely close.

Like I said I haven't seen it yet ,I'll get some more info and a picture or two thanks.
 
As has been said, post some good pics WITH barrel length measurements, forend length measurements and GOOD closeups of barrel and action stampings plus serial number.
 
LIKELY an 1892 Winchester.

SOME (very damned few) were made with factory extra-length barrels.

Standard lengths were 20 inches for the Carbine, 26 for the Rifle.

Anything below, between or above was special order.

Special-order features tended to clump. I once encountered a '94 Carbine in .38-55 with SEVEN special-order features, all on 1 gun.

Pictures here are necessary. They make the difference between $250 and $12,500.
 
Hello wsmnut,

As it has been stated a series of good detailed photos is a must. Both the Model 1873 and 1892 were offered in the 38-40 or as it would be noted on the rifle 38 WCF caliber. I own several of each Model in the same caliber.
If it is in fact a Model 1892 I will be more than glad to help. I personally have more than 30 of them and am conducting a research survey where I have cataloged over 5000 of these rifles. I have seen just about everything.

I will be glad to help you
Michael
 
Back
Top Bottom