Very Old Powder Horn - 1630 - Value?

Sly Old Fox

CGN frequent flyer
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
The following images are of a powder horn that I inherited many years ago. It came down through a family living very close to the site of the Battle of Maraviantown in the war of 1812-14, east of Thamesville in SW Ontario. There is no connection however with that battle in which Tecumseh was killed. We feel that the family were born in Germany and emigrated to the USA in the early 1800's, moving north into Upper Canada east of where Chatham is today. My wife is checking on ancestry.ca. She has the five generations, the first male born in Germany.

The height when standing on the flat base (where Anno 1630is carved) is 5.5", not including the tapered wooden plug.

The base is 2.5" X 13/16" thichness being just under 1".

The cow's horn has been softened when cleaned out and pressed flat.

The horn is shown with a 1/4" gridded graph paper behine it. Here are the images:


Horn1.jpg



Horn2.jpg



Horn3.jpg



Horn4.jpg



Horn5.jpg



I would appreciate suggestions of where I could best offer this for sale, whether in Canada, USA or Europe.

Thank you.
 
Sly old fox eh? You really need to get that to a credited museum where an expert can give you an opinion which means something or you can just send it to me. Weren't you and Lou supposed to get down here for a visit? I have a friend who has a horn which his father picked up while involved in the North West Rebellion...yes, his father!!! I spent some time contacting some relevant museums to find out more about it. There are some experts in Canada and the USA who would know but their priority would be to get it from your hands to theirs. All the best. Dave
 
Track of the Wolf has had antique horns in the past. Check out their Archives if they do not have any in their updates, or for sale files. It will give you an idea. Antique dealers would also be a source if information.
 
My old flat Powder 1630 powder horn.

Thanks to all of you.

As for keeping it in the family, not an issue. It came from my mother who remarried and was from my step father's line.

Dave, Lou and I had intended to get down your way, but it was just impossible. Lou and his young family never even got to our chalet the past summer. And yes, I will take steps to have it evaluated by an expert.

As a black powder cap lock rifle shooter in the mid 1950's, I saw and used a number of round horns, flasks etc. but they were all 2 or 3 centuries younger than this horn.

What ever I find out, I'll repost here.

Thanks to all, and now the hunt really begins.
 
Anno, is a term I see used alot on french arms ...it always comes before the year like on your horn anno 1630...dont take my word 100 percent..its just an observation of mine.
 
"...Anno..." Latin for year. As in 'Anno Domini'.
"...now the hunt really begins..." Yep. Starting with verifying its age.
 
Back
Top Bottom