Last weekend I took some guns and a chronograph to the range to see how they are performing. The Walker using 48 grains of Goex FFFG was averaging 1039 Feet/Second but when I filled the chamber with as much powder as it would take it clocked in at 1138 FPS. I could hear the crack over and above the normal boom.
The Remington Revolving Carbine with a .44 cal ball (.454") and 24 grains averaged 1042 FPS,upping the charge to 36 grains had surprisingly little effect as the speed only increased to 1092 FPS.
The Colt 1873 (repro) using factory .45 Colt ammo averaged 920 FPS and my re-loads 764 FPS using 5.4 grains of Unique behind a 230 grain round nose .452" bullet.
I only fired one round out of my newly acquired Colt M1860 Army antique as the nipples are too big to take a #11 cap,I managed to open one up enough to get it on the nipple. I used 18 grains of powder to propel the ball at 580 FPS.
Here are a few pictures taken at the range.
The Remington Revolving Carbine with a .44 cal ball (.454") and 24 grains averaged 1042 FPS,upping the charge to 36 grains had surprisingly little effect as the speed only increased to 1092 FPS.
The Colt 1873 (repro) using factory .45 Colt ammo averaged 920 FPS and my re-loads 764 FPS using 5.4 grains of Unique behind a 230 grain round nose .452" bullet.
I only fired one round out of my newly acquired Colt M1860 Army antique as the nipples are too big to take a #11 cap,I managed to open one up enough to get it on the nipple. I used 18 grains of powder to propel the ball at 580 FPS.
Here are a few pictures taken at the range.


















































