Webley MKII Bore Size Question

Twoshoes

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Just wondering if this makes any sense: I just slugged the barrel of my .455 Webley MKII and it's .447". Am I doing something wrong? I expected it to be a bit bigger. Anyone have any comments or ideas? Thanks.
 
well most 455 caliber webley MKI or MKIIs dont have .455 dia bores there .452 which was a big surprise to me.
Ones that are marked 455/476 have .460 bores or bigger sometimes.

I think its posible the lead ball or slug you used was to hard and didnt fill the lands tight.

Use soft lead and you should see the lands and groves in the slug once you tap it out.
 
Hmmm... I'm new to this whole antique thing. What you say makes me wonder as to the markings on my Webley: a ".444" on the frame and a".410" on the topstrap. I guess I have a better idea what those mean now. (I couldn't find a good egg sinker to slug it with so, I pulled a lead bullet from a factory .45 Colt cartridge. The barrell looks pretty worn and once I drove it through the barrel, the lands/grooves on the bullet I used seemed to back that up; even then I measure it at .447". Maybe I'll get a proper sinker and do it again.) Thanks for your help.
 
Thats a weird one alright dont shoot it with regular 455 Ammo eh .

You need to slug the bore with a 455 bullet that colt bullet coulda been .452
Anyway slug it again.
I seen that gun on Gun Broker my buddy in the USA told me he thought it was a Kyber pass gun going by the markings Ect he is a Webley expert so i passed on it.

Be carefull eh you dont want to granade the gun :eek:
thats smart to slug the bore!

Measure the chamber throats to?

That would have been Super dangerous if you fired a 455 Webley round down that barrel.
Didnt the seller check the bore Dia ?
Its not that difficult.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom