What do you think of this?

Kmeqk

New member
EE Expired
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Location
Near Ottawa
How does it look to you lads? Are more pics needed to tell?

DSC00339.jpg

DSC00256.jpg
 
I've recently acquired something similar. The crown could well use a touch up but as a fun thing to 'play' with. As long as it's in good mechanical shape outerwise, I'd say shoot it 'as a fun plinker' and enjoy. It's not likely you're going to turn it into a top of the line competition target centerfire.

455WebleyMarkVI.jpg
 
I love these things!
True your muzzle does look like it was used to hammer a fence, but these were a very robust firearm.
I bought an Enfield (same design as a Webley but manufactured by the British Armoury) in 38 s&w nearly 30 years ago. Great gun! Cheap plinker, low pressures, easy recoil.
I use 2.2 gr. of Bullseye with a 124 gr. truncated cone and get great targets at 25 yards.
Have fun with it.
 
If you do some searching here you should be able to find pics of what the Nitro Proof stamps look like (IIRC its the letters NP), and where they should be found. If you have that you can use cartridges loaded with modern smokeless powder (Fiocchi ammo), otherwise you're going to have to reload with black powder or equivalent lower power substitute. Regardless its a good shooter.
 
Well I don't actually own it yet... I was hoping to just get some feedback on it. I was thinking of buying it. The price is $ 1200.00 though and I was thinking it was a bit steep.
 
Thats a good price if its up here in Canada already.
Getting the barrel end redone is nothing as webleys dont really have a crown.
That gun would sell for more than $1200 in the EE in my opion so its not a bad price. as long as she locks up decent. ;)
 
I'm presuming you know it's a Webley Mk II in .455.

It bears the stamps Mk VI on the top strap, and was made at least in 1917 from the patent stamp. It was made for cordite or nitro loads, not black powder.

It fired a 265 gr fmj bullet, rather than a lead bullet, in order to accord with the Hague Convention. This bullet was used during the Great War and the Second World War. The propellant was 5.5 gr of an undisclosed type nitro-cellulose.

Here in UK we used to shoot them with a 255gr lead bullet over 3.5gr of Nobel Revolver #2 - about the same as Unique or Bullseye. Velocity with this load was just under 700 fps, my notes say.

Experimentation is recommended, starting with about 3gr of unique or Bullseye and watching for pressure signs.

tac
Velocity was about
tac
 
It bears the stamps Mk VI on the top strap, and was made at least in 1917 from the patent stamp. It was made for cordite or nitro loads, not black powder.

It fired a 265 gr fmj bullet, rather than a lead bullet, in order to accord with the Hague Convention. This bullet was used during the Great War and the Second World War. The propellant was 5.5 gr of an undisclosed type nitro-cellulose.

Here in UK we used to shoot them with a 255gr lead bullet over 3.5gr of Nobel Revolver #2 - about the same as Unique or Bullseye. Velocity with this load was just under 700 fps, my notes say.

Experimentation is recommended, starting with about 3gr of unique or Bullseye and watching for pressure signs.

tac
Velocity was about
tac

So it actually isn't pre 1898.... Interesting. That's basically out the window then.
 
Yeah, its definitely an antique, I believe you can tell without seeing the stamps that its a Mk II due to the flat sides of the hammer. Its obviously not a Mk VI. At 1200 a very good price.
 
I've recently acquired something similar. The crown could well use a touch up but as a fun thing to 'play' with. As long as it's in good mechanical shape outerwise, I'd say shoot it 'as a fun plinker' and enjoy. It's not likely you're going to turn it into a top of the line competition target centerfire.

455WebleyMarkVI.jpg

Sorry to be confungled - I thort you were talking about this one.

tac
 
Back
Top Bottom