What do you use for wall display hangers/mounts?

Mr. Dynamite

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Location
Northern Alberta
Hi there, I have a Snider Enfield from 1870 which, because of its classification as Antique, I would like to hang up and display on the wall. I did a search of past threads and didnt come up with much, so thought I would ask. What would you suggest for hanging it up? I am not looking for a plaque with hooks or wall mounted gun rack, but rather something less noticeable, such as simple hooks right on the wall. What would look nice but not detract from the gun by being too bulky?

Pretty nice gun, not what I collect but who can resist a fine looking old one like this? It is a smooth bore as well, I thought they all had rifling?

Thank you!

14%2B-%2B4


14%2B-%2B3
 
I used to use curtain rod holders (the wood ones). They have gotten too expensive.

My cheap solution is shovel hangers from Canadian Tire. They were like $3.00 for two of them. I painted them and cut padded strips (also from CT) to protect the wood.

Just make sure you hit a stud.

Curtain rod holders



Canadian Tire shovel holders

 
Perhaps not the best----brass hangers with insulating foam strips to protect the wood.
They also make a rubber coated 'U' shaped creation for securing rakes /other tools on if you want to stand the rifle upright---secured with a strong elastic band. (See the photo--right side)
Nothing fancy.





If it is only for one rifle it does not have to get too complicated.

This shows the base and the upper support.

For a larger display the game changes.





I used some of my father's wood mountings for power tools.



 
Last edited:
If you are only looking to display one or two, the ideas shown look great. If you are working with a larger number of firearms I think pegboard is the best solution. For my gun room I used white pegboard and picked up some small diameter clear fuel line to put over the pegs. That way the metal pegs don't mark the firearms and it also makes the pegs a little more 'sticky', preventing things from sliding around. Pegboard allows you to move things around with great flexibility, even hanging up smaller accessories. In case you haven't noticed, I love pegboard.
 
I use "chain hooks". They are very cheap and found at a farm store but you need to bend one arm to 90 degrees. The one eyelet hole is then anchored to the wall . two are used for each gun.
 
Get a strip of 1/2" X 1/8" steel from Can Tire and bend some "J" shaped hooks of an appropriate size and drill/countersink two holes for screws to fasten to the wall. Blue them or heat-blue them so they look dull, dark and inconspicuous. Line the inside with leather or felt - use contact cement. Look rustic and are very secure.
 
Back
Top Bottom