What is the deal with this "antique letter" thing

wbaad

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
Location
Yorkton, Sask
I recently got my first antique status revolver (as the regs tell me it is). I phoned the CFC just to verify that it is an antique, and after a quick discussion it is confirmed, but now they want me to "register" it so they can send me a verification letter... Which I haven't seen listed in any regs. Is this status letter required? How would someone with no licence know to do all this crap!?
I'm sure I'm not the first person to run into this so any pointers would be appreciated.
 
I remember going through all this nonsense, and even proposing to a friendly MP that this was another "backdoor registry"....it got a few CFC employees to raise their eyebrows, but little more.



In short, the CFC wants you to try and feed the antique's information through the registration system, at which point the system won't - because it can't - process/register the firearm. This lack of processing is what "generates the antique letter", at least in the CFC's minds.



Me? I have a lawyer-friend who likes to notarize things for free, and so I draft "antique-status-letters and get them all duly notarized these days. Helps with the border, too.
 
I wouldn't count of a little piece of paper for that.
Has anybody been caught in the bush and shown a letter to the police?


Yes, I have. The officer was polite but concerned when I showed him the antique status declaration. He was with a Conservation Officer that had been told about a crazy man running around the bush with a revolver in a holster. He felt he should have some backup so asked a Constable to attend with him.

They were polite and ASKED me if they could hold the firearm in their vehicle while they contacted someone that could clarify the issue of their concerns to their satisfaction.

It took about 10 minutes of being transferred from his head office to somewhere else. The Constable came back to me and handed me the pistol. He had a friendly way about him and they both apologised for the bother.

I offered them a coffee and it soon became apparent that they both wanted to try the pistol out on a target. They both shot off six rounds and were impressed by the recoil and accuracy.

Then of course, I was asked how the pistol performed on game. I was a bit POed at that lame attempt to catch me breaking the law and informed both of them that it was illegal for me to hunt with the pistol but it wasn't illegal for me to carry and shoot it in the field, as long as I was doing so in a safe manner and not irritating the neighbors. I also told them the pistol was unloaded while it wasn't in use and that I wouldn't leave it unattended in camp, while I was hunting.

They were OK with that. Smiled apologised for the lame attempt, got into their vehicle and left. I never saw either of them again.

One thing to keep in mind, in such situations, you may not be breaking the law but you are doing something highly unusual and to some minds controversial. Be polite but be firm and request they get in touch with someone that knows the issues involved. They can get in touch with people in the know, just about anywhere and anytime.

Keep it on an even keel and all will go well. Don't say anything you don't need to say. There isn't really a good reason for them to confiscate the pistol or charge you. Especially if you have given them proper documentation.

The letter in the link is a direct copy from the CFC website. They can check it out in a few minutes. If the situation starts going south, clam up and wait until you get to the station, then if it still remains ugly because of personal emotions, either lodge a complaint with the Watch Commander, lawyer up and lodge a complaint with the Police Commissioner. Likely, the situation will never get to this point. Possible but doubtful.
 
but now they want me to "register" it so they can send me a verification letter... Which I haven't seen listed in any regs.

Correct, since the change in "policy" (policy, not law) a PAL holder can no longer have a antique status letter generated without prior registration and de-registration. Some antiques (some that are damn easy to prove such as the antique SAA the poor fellow a year or two ago here got stuck in the registry) never get out of the registry once in it, and I've never been able to use logic or reason with a computer.

You can also guarantee the FRT and original owner information is never destroyed.

How would someone with no licence know to do all this crap!?

A non-PAL holder can still have a status letter generated without going through the computer registration. Good old two tier system.

Is this status letter required?

No. If you're getting one "just in case" when dealing with authorities a cool head, polite manners, and co-operation (to a point) will go a lot further than the letter will.

If there's a letter or not, a good CO or LEO will have to verify the authenticity of any given antique which requires calling the CFC. The CFC has all of the information on how to identify on hand and will provide that to the officer, and it will be this information and not a status letter that satisfies the requirements of the officer, or not.

A printed copy of the regulations is good enough to guide the officer in their search, the rest is done by the CFC and responding officer.
 
Last edited:
I needed a letter, on one of my antiques, to satisfy my gunsmith. The silly .38 special thing... I got my sister to go through the process for me. It doesn't need to be your name, on the letter...
 
Yes, I have. The officer was polite but concerned when I showed him the antique status declaration. He was with a Conservation Officer that had been told about a crazy man running around the bush with a revolver in a holster. He felt he should have some backup so asked a Constable to attend with him.

They were polite and ASKED me if they could hold the firearm in their vehicle while they contacted someone that could clarify the issue of their concerns to their satisfaction.

It took about 10 minutes of being transferred from his head office to somewhere else. The Constable came back to me and handed me the pistol. He had a friendly way about him and they both apologised for the bother.

I offered them a coffee and it soon became apparent that they both wanted to try the pistol out on a target. They both shot off six rounds and were impressed by the recoil and accuracy.

Then of course, I was asked how the pistol performed on game. I was a bit POed at that lame attempt to catch me breaking the law and informed both of them that it was illegal for me to hunt with the pistol but it wasn't illegal for me to carry and shoot it in the field, as long as I was doing so in a safe manner and not irritating the neighbors. I also told them the pistol was unloaded while it wasn't in use and that I wouldn't leave it unattended in camp, while I was hunting.

They were OK with that. Smiled apologised for the lame attempt, got into their vehicle and left. I never saw either of them again.

One thing to keep in mind, in such situations, you may not be breaking the law but you are doing something highly unusual and to some minds controversial. Be polite but be firm and request they get in touch with someone that knows the issues involved. They can get in touch with people in the know, just about anywhere and anytime.

Keep it on an even keel and all will go well. Don't say anything you don't need to say. There isn't really a good reason for them to confiscate the pistol or charge you. Especially if you have given them proper documentation.

The letter in the link is a direct copy from the CFC website. They can check it out in a few minutes. If the situation starts going south, clam up and wait until you get to the station, then if it still remains ugly because of personal emotions, either lodge a complaint with the Watch Commander, lawyer up and lodge a complaint with the Police Commissioner. Likely, the situation will never get to this point. Possible but doubtful.

Lol They cant help themselves can they, asking how good they are to hunt with :)
I think you handled that ^ situation really well but better if no one knows your running around in the bush with any antique handgun in the frist place if posible.
i wear a flap holster with shoulder strap so i can spin the gun behind me if i run into someone on the trail i dont think anyones ever guessed i had a handgun on me ever.
even when im carrying 7 inch barreled schofields.

to the OP...Its good to have the letters if your in the bush "alot" official is better than any home made one.
In any case the FRT print out is just as good if not better as long as your gun is classed as antique in the FRT.
You dont need a rcmp letter by law but if you dont have some info to prove the gun is in fact a perscribed antique you could have it taken away tho you would get it back its a hassel i hope to never go thru.
 
yeah, like the others said its good to have just to help cover your butt. The more tools in my toolbag I have to keep me out of an otherwise sticky situation, the better I think.
 
A letter is not required but they can be helpful when dealing with authorities. The CFC DOES keep a "backdoor registry" of antiques you get letters for, I have posted proof of this. Instead why not download my antique letter and fill it out?

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/foru...e-Status-Letter-For-Download&highlight=letter

Thanks for that, I made it into a form that can be filled out through Adobe... Looks much nicer than a hand-written one.

How does one access the FRT for a printout?
 
I know its not a requirement, but with all the paranoid cops and people it helps to have all the proof you can get. I'd rather prove it myself than get a lawyer to...
 
If I can get one that has never been registered I just draft my own letter (works pretty good, satisfied the few RCMP I've dealt with and has gotten a dozen antiques through customs) I've had a few that I needed to get de-registered, and I figure if it has ever been in the Canadian system I want the RCMP letter for sure.
 
Yes, I have. The officer was polite but concerned when I showed him the antique status declaration. He was with a Conservation Officer that had been told about a crazy man running around the bush with a revolver in a holster. He felt he should have some backup so asked a Constable to attend with him.

They were polite and ASKED me if they could hold the firearm in their vehicle while they contacted someone that could clarify the issue of their concerns to their satisfaction.

It took about 10 minutes of being transferred from his head office to somewhere else. The Constable came back to me and handed me the pistol. He had a friendly way about him and they both apologised for the bother.

I offered them a coffee and it soon became apparent that they both wanted to try the pistol out on a target. They both shot off six rounds and were impressed by the recoil and accuracy.

Then of course, I was asked how the pistol performed on game. I was a bit POed at that lame attempt to catch me breaking the law and informed both of them that it was illegal for me to hunt with the pistol but it wasn't illegal for me to carry and shoot it in the field, as long as I was doing so in a safe manner and not irritating the neighbors. I also told them the pistol was unloaded while it wasn't in use and that I wouldn't leave it unattended in camp, while I was hunting.

They were OK with that. Smiled apologised for the lame attempt, got into their vehicle and left. I never saw either of them again.

One thing to keep in mind, in such situations, you may not be breaking the law but you are doing something highly unusual and to some minds controversial. Be polite but be firm and request they get in touch with someone that knows the issues involved. They can get in touch with people in the know, just about anywhere and anytime.

Keep it on an even keel and all will go well. Don't say anything you don't need to say. There isn't really a good reason for them to confiscate the pistol or charge you. Especially if you have given them proper documentation.

The letter in the link is a direct copy from the CFC website. They can check it out in a few minutes. If the situation starts going south, clam up and wait until you get to the station, then if it still remains ugly because of personal emotions, either lodge a complaint with the Watch Commander, lawyer up and lodge a complaint with the Police Commissioner. Likely, the situation will never get to this point. Possible but doubtful.

Does any one has similar experience in Quebec?
 
Back
Top Bottom