Beaver Skin
CGN Regular
- Location
- Lower Mainland, BC
I've finally decided to do some digging on a socket bayonet I have and I was hoping the experts can chime in to verify what I found out and help me value this item.
I believe this to be a New Land Pattern bayonet. There are some photos of this pattern at http://www.jeffreyhayes.com/bayonets/1802_newland1.htm along with the following notes:
The New Land pattern musket was designed during a brief period of peace in the Napoleonic Wars, to replace the India Pattern musket. However the peace was brief and only a small number could be produced in period 1802-03, and again in 1812-15. Also in the fire at the Tower of London in 1841, large quantities of New Land and India Pattern muskets were destroyed (along with a large quantity of newly produced percussion arms). The result of this for the collector today is that these are a very scarce bayonet.
Further down the page it also states:
In January 1838, 800 New Land Pattern muskets were converted to percussion and issued to the Guards for climatic tests in Canada.
This note would explain how the bayonet made its way to Canada....perhaps.
I can't make out the markings on the back of the blade but have included a few photos.
Am I out to lunch on my research? Any help would be much appreciated!
I believe this to be a New Land Pattern bayonet. There are some photos of this pattern at http://www.jeffreyhayes.com/bayonets/1802_newland1.htm along with the following notes:
The New Land pattern musket was designed during a brief period of peace in the Napoleonic Wars, to replace the India Pattern musket. However the peace was brief and only a small number could be produced in period 1802-03, and again in 1812-15. Also in the fire at the Tower of London in 1841, large quantities of New Land and India Pattern muskets were destroyed (along with a large quantity of newly produced percussion arms). The result of this for the collector today is that these are a very scarce bayonet.
Further down the page it also states:
In January 1838, 800 New Land Pattern muskets were converted to percussion and issued to the Guards for climatic tests in Canada.
This note would explain how the bayonet made its way to Canada....perhaps.
I can't make out the markings on the back of the blade but have included a few photos.
Am I out to lunch on my research? Any help would be much appreciated!


















































