What Model Savage 99 have I inherited?

Hollywood71

New member
EE Expired
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Location
Parts Unknown
Greetings folks.

My grandfather recently passed and left me his gun collection; one of which is a .300 Salvage Model 99. I see there are SEVERAL series listed under the 99. From the pictures I compare with on the internet and when the .300 calibre was released, I can only guess that this Model 99 is somewhere between the 'E' and the 'G'. Anyone out there that can help me confirm what I have here?

Thank you!
 
Thank you and you are correct! The barrel does say 300 Savage CD, but if I look at the Blue Book of Gun Values site, it says this series was only manufactured between 1975-1981 which I think is incorrect as my dad said that this gun was mounted over there fireplace when he was a child in the 1950's. That site also says the CD series has a Monte Carlo Cheek Piece stock and this does not. http://www.firearmscanada.com/ads/savage-model-99g-300-calibre/
 
The 99C’s. These guns are not hard to get a model designation on at all. Just have a look at it, is it magazine fed? Yes? Then you have a model C, the C stood for clip although that was a mistake as most of you know it’s called a magazine not a clip. The only other mag fed model was the model CD which was the same gun only it was a deluxe version with a Monte Carlo stock and a giveaway on these would be the white line spacer between the butt plate and the butt stock.

Also, there are Internet websites that can tell you the year and model based on Serial numbers. I think there is one called "Savageshooters.com" that might help you.

Without a couple of good pictures, asking for information is like saying I have a Pick-up Truck - can anyone tell me about it?
.
 
The barrel says CD but if you look at the pics it is in no way a CD and there certainly is zip for a magazine. So from the help of a wise few on here and some research, its likely an EG and my gramps must have upgraded to a CD barrel knowing that those barrels were the same, but much newer. I'm gonna check out that site now so thank you very much and Git R Done!!!
 
Back
Top Bottom