What size is 36 calibre?

CMichaud

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
72   0   1
OK - apologies if I asked this here already but do not recollect doing so (nor do I see me having started a thread on this):d

What size ball is 36 calibre for original time period revolvers?

Does anyone have any source as to the original specs fopr Colt vs Remington vs any other period 36?

I have seen Hornady balls at .375 for sale but thought I read these are inline with newer standardised repro revolvers.

Thanks for any insight!
 
Civil war ammo was all over the map re: diameters, rifle or pistol; before the age of Vernier micrometers.

Modern .36 is .375 for pistols, .360 for rifles.
 
My one 36 likes 375. The other seems to be about 385.

I wonder if this caused issues back in the day or perhaps wear etc? The latter pistol slugs about 380 but the balls almost drop into the cylinder with little pressure/shaving needed hence the 385. I do wonder if the cylinder was honed/aggressively cleaned over the years etc
 
This does not give you measurements.

This .36 Cal. cartridge does not belong to me---but it gives you a sense of what they look like.



This is the only packet of .36 cal. cartridges that I own----also shown, 58 cal and .577 cal paper cartridges.

 
In Peter Schiffers book on Civil War revolvers (available from "Man at Arms" Press) , he discusses bore diameter differences between different makes and models. He says that undersized paper cartridges were preferred for their ease of loading as the bullets would obturate on firing.

I was surprised to learn that the bulk of such ammo was loaded with conicals as opposed to RB. However, some designs would not accept conicals due to their short cylinders. Most modern BP shooters use RB as they find conicals a PITA to load. Conicals also take up a lot of powder space.
 
In Peter Schiffers book on Civil War revolvers (available from "Man at Arms" Press) , he discusses bore diameter differences between different makes and models. He says that undersized paper cartridges were preferred for their ease of loading as the bullets would obturate on firing.

I was surprised to learn that the bulk of such ammo was loaded with conicals as opposed to RB. However, some designs would not accept conicals due to their short cylinders. Most modern BP shooters use RB as they find conicals a PITA to load. Conicals also take up a lot of powder space.

Cottage American industry for pistol and rifle paper cartridges (north and south of the Mason-Dixon Line) first off, to provide the volume required for fighting a full scale war.

Round ball loads, not maker friendly.
 
The custom back in the day was to name the size from the bore, not the rifling grooves. So that's why a cap&ball .36 needs to use balls of up around .375 to .380. And why a cap&ball .44 needs a 454 to .457 size ball and will accept and handle .45Colt conversion cylinders just fine.
 
Back
Top Bottom