What size of mold will I need?

drache

BANNED
CGN Ultra frequent flyer
BANNED
Rating - 98.2%
54   1   0
So I have a good collection of balls that came with my Hawken. But eventually I want to cast my own. I noticed you can get Lee Ball molds in various sizes from .490-.500. So what size mold should I get for my .50 Caliber Hawken?
 
.490 or .495 is a good one but it depends ont the patch thickness bore diameter from land to land and groove to groove ect

too many factors to tell you right here right now with the info i have
 
I'd say go with .490 because just after two shots the .495 can get stuck from black powder build up even with thin patches. .490 will give more shots between swabbing and cleaning without jamming a ball in the bore.
 
I shoot similar piece by Thompson Center and use 490 ball with 15 thou lubed patch and works very well using 50 grains fffg. Find after about 15 shots it get s a little coked up and a big lot of spit on a wet patch after setting the ball helps out and it's clear for the next 10 shots and then repeat. Have also just sent a volume of spit down the barrel and it works about the same. Saliva is natures lubrication in many instances. Cheers, Bill
 
Back
Top Bottom