Yeah, I know about ACW guns being found with fireable powder in them, but I wanted to know about modern instances. I do know that a pal of mine kept his ML rifle charged throughout an entire hunting season before he fired it off.
Thanks for the tip! It's moot just how effective a smear of lube on the cylinder pin really is on a Remington. I like your idea of a drop of non-petroleum based oil on the pin after recharging the cylinder.
I'm the sole Rem fan in our club possee, the rest being "wedgie" fans. The only "wedgie" I currently own is a 2nd Gen Third Model Dragoon. That's a fistful and a two-paw proposition for me. I gave up on my '51 Navy's, including a 2nd Gen model as being unreliable. I don't like guns that shoot themselves loose.
I do own a pair of Open Top's in .38 Spl. and they are fun to play with, but I don't have enough faith in them to shoot a major match with BP loads.
It wasn't part of my original post, but I have a cap & ball pal who shooters his Ruger Old Army's and Walkers with NO lube over the chambers. Over several years, I've never seen him have a chain fire. If it was going to happen to anyone, you'd think it would be him.
I've got a tip to pass on. That alcohol based "hand sanitizer" is an effective way of cleaning your hands after they greasy during reloading. I keep a small size container in my gear. Greatly enhances your grip on a warm day.