whats with the new regulations regarding black powder?

allday2ll

Regular
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Location
Kemptville Ont
can someone explain the new regulations regarding black powder? I heard if effects black powder shooters, something about a kilo only or something?(sorry only read about this in another post)
 
You'd have to read the actual legalese but I read it as pertaining to the amount of BP you can store. It varied as to whether you were stroing BP in a house vs apartment, vs attached garage etc.

If I remember correctly, the greatest impact woudl likely be on retailers and producers whcih of course will have a downstream impact on supply.

Just my nnon-legal translation/understanding mind you
 
can someone explain the new regulations regarding black powder? I heard if effects black powder shooters, something about a kilo only or something?(sorry only read about this in another post)

There's a sticky thread on this in Discussions and alerts, top sticky. It's a long one but in a nutshell blackpowder seems to be ok. The new regulations allow a person to have 5kg of powder in the house at any time and another 70kg in a shed or garage or secure outdoor storage. So 75kg, that's not bad.

That's over 150lbs. Should be enough for anyone including people who blast cannons.
 
You'd have to read the actual legalese but I read it as pertaining to the amount of BP you can store. It varied as to whether you were stroing BP in a house vs apartment, vs attached garage etc.

If I remember correctly, the greatest impact woudl likely be on retailers and producers whcih of course will have a downstream impact on supply.

Just my nnon-legal translation/understanding mind you

The new ammo legislation proposes that stores can keep 250kg of ammo in the front of the store and tons more in the back. So stores will be ok, no shortages of ammo predicted!!
 
^are these brand new changes made again?. Because if so, thank you jesus, this is a step in a better direction.

I'm still concerned about ammunition above .50 caliber however. I don't personally own any firearms over .30 but that isnt the damn point.
 
^are these brand new changes made again?. Because if so, thank you jesus, this is a step in a better direction.

I'm still concerned about ammunition above .50 caliber however. I don't personally own any firearms over .30 but that isnt the damn point.

The only thing with powder is you'll need a pal when it passes so that sucks for guys who don't have one and only shoot antiques... I think possesion of it will still be legal without a pal though.

The big calibers I know nothing about so I couldn't ask Dr. Watson, maybe someone else will talk to him about it. I couldn't, too clueless on the subject.

All I shoot is 45 caliber Martini Henry, the sks or shotguns.
 
The only thing with powder is you'll need a pal when it passes so that sucks for guys who don't have one and only shoot antiques... I think possesion of it will still be legal without a pal though.

I read the proposed regs I don't see anything about retailer requiring pal, it just mentions government approved photo id. I wonder if you are confusing their references to licensed individuals(i.e.NRCAN license for manufacturing, retail, distribution, etc.) with PAL?

as taken from the new reg proposal

"Identification

294. (1) Before selling propellant powder to a buyer, the seller must require the buyer to establish their identity by providing
(a) a piece of identification issued by the Government of Canada, or a provincial, municipal or foreign government, that bears a photograph of the buyer, or


(b) two pieces of identification, each of which sets out the buyer’s name, at least one of which is issued by the Government of Canada or a provincial, municipal or foreign government and at least one of which sets out the buyer’s address.



Verification of identity

(2) If the buyer provides a piece of identification that bears a photograph, the seller must ensure, before selling the propellant powder, that the photograph is that of the buyer."
 
The new ammo legislation proposes that stores can keep 250kg of ammo in the front of the store and tons more in the back. So stores will be ok, no shortages of ammo predicted!!
depends on the terms of the license. What are the conditions placed on storage? stand-alone building? Sprinklered? 25m from a roadway?
 
Back
Top Bottom