The smokeless barrels say nickel steel on them. Not all of the old BP cartridges were converted to nickel steel barrels on the model 94s until 1898 or 1899 depending on model, though you could order a smokeless powder barrel in all calibers before that. When the 1894 first came out it was chambered in 38-55. The 30-30 version was not produced until May 1895, which was the first of the rifles to have the new smokeless barrels. Winchester marked their smokeless barrels as such until 1932.
In any event, if yours is a 1902 it should be nickel steel and marked that way, even in the 38-55. That said, the old 94s will not take 375 Winchester pressure so make sure you load accordingly.
I have a reproduction of a Winchester catalogue for 1896. All Model 1894 calibers were available in smokeless in that catalogue.
I do believe U are correct, however I think it was introduced as a black powder cartridge and as soon as smokeless became available they switched. What year that was escapes me.With Winchester I think the 30-30 was their first smokeless cartridge, so I would be inclined to agree with the above.
I do believe U are correct, however I think it was introduced as a black powder cartridge and as soon as smokeless became available they switched. What year that was escapes me.
I have a reproduction of a Winchester catalogue for 1896. All Model 1894 calibers were available in smokeless in that catalogue.



























