Where are the Winchester HighWall experts?

Willy Tincup

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
575   0   1
Location
Owen Sound
My 85 Highwall in .22 has a weak main spring; it is the rattrap coil spring style. Haven't been able to find a source to purchase a new one.
Anyone know what % of guns have this type of mainspring? Are the rattrap springs used only in the .22 cal rifles? or also in some C.F. guns? Where they used for a certain Serial # range? or used for a specific time period?
Thanks for any and all info, including a source for a new spring.
PS: All of the parts diagrams I have found show the flat leaf style.
 
No expert here, but I have a book. deHass wrote that the coil spring was introduced with the take -down system devised in 1908 and was thereafter used on all rifles, solid frame or take-down. So, say 1908 to 1920 or thereabouts, no idea of serial range.
 
Since I posted the original post I have found my Bill West book and it says that the 'Late Variety, 2nd Variation' of rifles from about 109000A to 125000A [approx 1910 to 1916] used the new light, milled hammers and the new coil mainspring. It doesn't say if they were used until the end of production or not. Mine is Ser # 11355X so that all fits together.
The coil spring is very visible with the lever down and it appears to have a broken coil on the right side. Now; Where to find a new one?
 
Sir, you have absolutely no idea how much I envy you your original High Wall rifle. I'd really appreciate some images if you can find some time to post them. My High Wall is a Uberti fake, but it still looks like the real thing and shoots pretty well. I'll be putting a Winchester-style scope on it this year from Montana Vintage Arms.

TIA

tac
 
Back
Top Bottom