Where do you shoot your antiques

BadLieutenant

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Location
Montreal, Quebec
I'm looking to find a place that would be safe and legal to shoot my antiques, and haven't found a place yet! (living in a big city is not obvious) :(

Where do YOU shoot your antiques?
 
There are loads of threads on this subject - some of the stickies also talk about it.

If you plan to shoot outside of a range, you must check the local bylaws to make sure discharging firearms is permitted. It's a good idea to be discrete and not bother anyone.

Depending on where you are, it might be better to get permission from a rural landowner to shoot on their property.
 
Depending on where you are, it might be better to get permission from a rural landowner to shoot on their property.

Heres the ticket,

This is Canada

No matter where you are in this country, you are at all times at most 1 hr from rual areas and small farms/ privately owned land.

Go shake some hands and make some new friends!
 
I see you live in Montreal. Having lived in Longueuil for a few years, I know that it is not easy to just slip out of the city to go shooting. In the short term, you can shoot your antiques at any range that allows you to shoot non-restricted or restricted firearms. You'll have to google to see what clubs are in Montreal. In the longer term, I would recommend finding someone with some rural property that would allow you to shoot there from time to time.
 
In the longer term, I would recommend finding someone with some rural property that would allow you to shoot there from time to time.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was always under the impression that there's a certain distance where you can't discharge any firearm from the nearest residence or populated area, as per the CFO regulations? I clearly remember people on CGN saying that there was a few conditions that have to be met before you can legally discharge a firearm, even on farmland or in the woods...

Basically, municipal by-laws are one thing, but I also thought that a range was the only option unless some clearly defined conditions are met for shooting outside, even in the absence of any by-laws. My father had a friend who saw all his guns confiscated by the SQ (local/provincial firearm uberfuhrers, amongst other things) for target shooting outside in the woods approx. 10-15 years ago... the guy was reportedly far from populated areas, but most likely not far enough (he was not a hunter and was against shooting animals, so hunting regs are certainly not the reason for that particular confiscation).

:confused:
 
Come on if you are outside the city in the bush, you can shoot a non-restricted gun. Period. The only thing that you should concern yourself with is the Conservation Officers/MNR or whatever provincial body regulates hunting in your area. So if you aren't hunting make sure you have targets set up so that it is obvious that you are plinking. But why not just join a range in MTL? Must be one closer than finding crown forest in Southern Quebec.
 
The main problem for not shooting at a club is that I had left the hobby after all the new regulations.....but came back because of the fact that antiques are much easier to collect and shoot.

I believe club owners do not like antiques in their club in the first place, and I would believe they will ask to have a PAL....something I have no desire to get! ;)
 
Its covered in the PAL course material, you have be be wary of being too close to buildings, schools, and highways, and shooting over water etc... but all it takes is a few minutes walking in the right direction to get far enough away.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was always under the impression that there's a certain distance where you can't discharge any firearm from the nearest residence or populated area, as per the CFO regulations? I clearly remember people on CGN saying that there was a few conditions that have to be met before you can legally discharge a firearm, even on farmland or in the woods...
 
Its covered in the PAL course material, you have be be wary of being too close to buildings, schools, and highways, and shooting over water etc... but all it takes is a few minutes walking in the right direction to get far enough away.

Yes, that I know... but is there an actual distance (ie. estimated effective bullet range) from the nearest "anything"?

I usually shoot at a club only, but that doesn't mean I won't try shooting outdoors at some point when opportunity comes and it's legal to do. Last thing I'd want is for my antiques to be confiscated over some CFO technicality. Thanks in advance for your input... as this is definitely an interesting discussion topic.
 
Befriend a farmer.

I shoot on 1200 acres of mixed farmland, closest rcmp detachment is about a 45 minute high speed drive away , almost never see conservation officers , closest neighbor is nearly 4km away, no one to piss off except the local wildlife.
 
I apologize I just did a search and apparently it is not in the PAL course material. So I'm not sure where I heard this, maybe it was from a hunter safety course or here on CGN, it must be in the criminal code or something like that. I believe you have to be more than 200 yards from a home / residential area / school / road etc.... or a distance in that range, 150~250 yrds.

Can anyone confirm this?


Yes, that I know... but is there an actual distance (ie. estimated effective bullet range) from the nearest "anything"?

I usually shoot at a club only, but that doesn't mean I won't try shooting outdoors at some point when opportunity comes and it's legal to do. Last thing I'd want is for my antiques to be confiscated over some CFO technicality. Thanks in advance for your input... as this is definitely an interesting discussion topic.
 
I apologize I just did a search and apparently it is not in the PAL course material. So I'm not sure where I heard this, maybe it was from a hunter safety course or here on CGN, it must be in the criminal code or something like that. I believe you have to be more than 200 yards from a home / residential area / school / road etc.... or a distance in that range, 150~250 yrds.

Can anyone confirm this?

I think its in the Hunting regs.

As to where do i shoot my antiques......
Anywhere i can shoot my non restricteds is my answer w:h:
 
Back
Top Bottom