Where to buy .223 Frangible?

R00k1E

Regular
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Location
Ontario
Anyone know of any dealers in Canada selling .223 frangible?

The indoor range I go to is pretty pricey so I wanted to see if there are any alternatives out there.
 
Forgive me, the are so many different levels of knowledge here...

If it's frangible you're looking for - bullets that will turn to dust on impact with anything solid - it's gonna cost you, assuming you can find it. One advantage is that such bullets are often lead-free.

If it's something that won't put holes in a steel backstop plate, then almost any softpoint should do (assuming a normal plate thickness).
 
Barnes @ Whole Sale
http://ca.wholesalesports.com/storefront/reloading/bullets/varmint-grenade-153/prod240657.html
Don't blame me if the parrie dogs don't like ya!
;)
 
Hmmmm....the indoor 25yrd range I belong to allows .223 but only frangible rounds. You buy it there but its very expensive. The ammo must not leave the premises so you either shoot what you buy or you put your name on the box, leave it in their hands and ask for it next time.
It was explained to me that frangible is not legal to own because it is more evil than the regular stuff.:confused:
 
Hmmmm....the indoor 25yrd range I belong to allows .223 but only frangible rounds. You buy it there but its very expensive. The ammo must not leave the premises so you either shoot what you buy or you put your name on the box, leave it in their hands and ask for it next time.
It was explained to me that frangible is not legal to own because it is more evil than the regular stuff.:confused:

Call a moving company, pack you kit and move out West. Even at a shooting range which should be friendly territory, the knobs are slowly sucking your spirit. Run away son, run away!
 
I would find a different range. Them selling flangible should tell you it is not illegal. You can legally buy Barnes Varmit Grenades at alot of stores. Explosive are illegal ... there is a difference between the two.

I find it odd they don't allow you to take your ammo home .. weird.
 
Last edited:
johNTO, I believe we may be talking about the same range. It's the price we must pay for using an indoor range but it's getting a bit much. I'm not sure about the legality of owning the rounds.

ATOM: that's a good question and I will have to clarify that with the range. I was told "we only allow frangible .223 ammo" but i'll ask them about using any softpoint ammo.
 
It's the price we must pay for using an indoor range

Bullsh!t. Here in Alberta we can shoot whatever the hell kind of ammunition we want in our indoor ranges right up to .338 winmag with no problem...even the short 40 yard at Phoenix.

I can't believe they don't let you take your own ammo home. What a joke about them lying to you about the bullets' legality too.

You can purchase Nosler varmint balistic tips which will disintegrate on impact. I reload them.
 
Frangible ammunition is not illegal .. Its just a compressed copper powder round , they cannot tell you you cant take it home , youve made a legal purchase ..

Winchester ranger makes a frangible line and ive seen it in stores before as well . i think someone at the range is telling fibs.
 
I asked the range today and they said they use the Winchester type frangible ammo but it's illegal for us to own it, but since they have an agreement with the government they're allowed to own it.

Does this make sense to anyone?
 
I asked the range today and they said they use the Winchester type frangible ammo but it's illegal for us to own it, but since they have an agreement with the government they're allowed to own it.

Does this make sense to anyone?

Let us clarify the information you are looking for, we cannot allow the ammunition to leave our facility as per our agreement with the distributor, furthermore our range is only approved for frangible rifle ammunition. Also the Mines and Explosives people do not want frangible ammunition sold commercially, while it is not a law they have made this a recommendation. Since our sister company imports and distributes RUAG Swiss P ammunition, we are not going to take a chance to run afoul of Mines & Explosives.
 
Let us clarify the information you are looking for, we cannot allow the ammunition to leave our facility as per our agreement with the distributor, furthermore our range is only approved for frangible rifle ammunition. Also the Mines and Explosives people do not want frangible ammunition sold commercially, while it is not a law they have made this a recommendation. Since our sister company imports and distributes RUAG Swiss P ammunition, we are not going to take a chance to run afoul of Mines & Explosives.

While its nice to have a clarification from you on your policy, I have to wonder why your staff has misinformed customers in the past. This isn't the first time this has come up with respect to Target Sports. And for that matter, while in your store, I have heard many other pieces of total crap spewed by your employees that weren't even worth arguing with. I was actually about to purchase a pistol, but when speaking with one of your employees about a rifle (SCAR), his lack of knowledge, and his cockiness and holier than thou attitude about it made me just walk away and give my business to Wolverine. I know for a fact that your employee was incorrect since I had a FOI that proved otherwise.

While it is possible that the OP heard incorrectly, I know that others have mentioned the exact same thing about frangible ammo, and my personal experience with the SCAR conversation leads me to believe the OP. Perhaps some employee education is in order.
 
Frangible ammunitition, tracers, and corrosive ammunition that uses Potassium Chlorate as the oxidizer in the priming compound and mercury fulminate primers are all not authorized for commercial use by Natural Resources Canada.

However NRCan authorization is not required for personal importations of under 5000 rounds.
 
Back
Top Bottom