Which is better...storing powder or reloaded ammo

I have been loading for 45 years. Gone through several thousand pounds of powder. Only powder thet ever went bad was some AmmoMart (Higginson) surplus 303 powder (like 3031).

When yous tore power make sure the lid is on tight. Don't leave powder in the thrower. As it dries it speeds up.

Loading ammo that works well in a gun so you have a few month's supply is just fine.
 
Correct...I store reloaded ammo in a safe. I store my powder in the garage on the top shelf out of reach (need a ladder to get to it)...this is the same for my primers.

I can see the other point of view that powder in a sealed metal safe would create a large amount of pressure...as an example, if powder is burned on a concrete floor, it just fizzles however if ignited in a sealed container such as a brass case, it would create pressure (I believe this is how loaded ammunition works)....GOOD POINT!

I like the wooden box idea (or a lockable plastic one)...maybe I'll consider this as another winter project and build one with a locking system.

So from the sounds of it, reloaded ammo and powder can last for a very long time so long as it is stored properly (cool and dry place).

Thanks for the input everyone.

Sorry for bringing an old topic up, but I did the search and ran across this post.

My understanding was that it is not a good idea as temperature and humidity varies significantly in your garage...
Some storage room in the basement or, even a cold room, is a better place.
 
IIRC, as per Explosives Act, you have to store powder in a wooden box with brass fittings and store primers separately.

I remember the look I got from a Home Depot guy when I told him I needed to get some boards cut to make a box for explosives :D .. he turned out to have a friend who reloads too and awkward moment turned into smiles :D


Here is the explosives act.. http://laws.justice.gc.ca/PDF/Statute/E/E-17.pdf

Would someone locate that particular tidbit?

I think you mean explosives regulations.. and I can't find that information on the ERD site either.. But it is rather a mess..
 
Don't worry they are working on a new set of reloading regulations and powder storage restrictions right now. Apparently they are consulting with the reloading community to do this but we shall see. They tried in 04 to bring in some ridiculous reloading restrictions but were met with too much anger from us. They will try again though. Just wait you will here about it soon enough. I have posted the conversation I had with one of the guys responsible, and he said he was gonna email me the new regs when they are released, and I will forward what I get. For now who cares. Go try and light up some smokeless powder, it will burn, and slowly at that. It is not an explosive by any means. A pound of gasoline will do far more damage if caught ablaze. Now Black powder is a different story, but we are talking smokeless here. Black powder you need to keep seperate by any means.
Mark
 
You mention storing for 6 months. That is not "long " storage. That is almost "immediate" use.

If you are sure you are going to shoot the ammo in the next year, load as much as you want.

The danger of loading a lot of ammo is that it might be gun-specific and if the gun gets sold or broken the mmo might not work in the next gun. This is especally true of rifles.

I load pistol on a Dillon and like to load a few buckets of rounds once I have the machine set up and working well.
 
Back
Top Bottom