Winchester 1886 45-70 cal. original. Sights question...

frichtie

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Location
Québec
Hi all,

I'm the proud owner of an original model 1886 rifle. (never restored) 45-70.

If I remember well, barrel length is 26''. (I'll have to check that, coud be 28''...) 5 digits serial made in1887. Round barrel.

Simple question, as I seriously doubt it has its original set of sights, i'd like to know what type of sights was mounted at the factory. (buckhorn?)

Many thanks,

Eric
 
Hi all,

I'm the proud owner of an original model 1886 rifle. (never restored) 45-70.

If I remember well, barrel length is 26''. (I'll have to check that, coud be 28''...) 5 digits serial made in1887. Round barrel.

Simple question, as I seriously doubt it has its original set of sights, i'd like to know what type of sights was mounted at the factory. (buckhorn?)

Many thanks,

Eric

The standard front sight is a 21A and the rear is a 42A

Michael
 
Sorry, can't post pics here. But it appears that my rifle has a carbine type rear sight. And the front post is just too recent...was probably replaced a few decades ago. Rear sight is actually a folding ladder.
 
A ladder sight similar to the carbine sight but longer could be the original rear sight. Winchester referred to it as the "Sporting Leaf Sight" or 42A and they were installed on different models including the 1886. It may or may not be marked with a model number. Have a look at the leaf immediately behind the little screw to see if it is marked "1886".
 
A ladder sight similar to the carbine sight but longer could be the original rear sight. Winchester referred to it as the "Sporting Leaf Sight" or 42A and they were installed on different models including the 1886. It may or may not be marked with a model number. Have a look at the leaf immediately behind the little screw to see if it is marked "1886".

Ok thank you. I'm gonna check for it later today.
 
Back
Top Bottom