Winchester 1894 - Short barrel - Questions

misterzr

CGN Regular
Rating - 99.3%
139   1   1
Location
Saskatchewan
I bought a 1894 in 30WCF a while back and had a couple of questions. Serial number dates is at 1905. It appears to have a short barrel at 19", looks stock and not cut, the hand guard is also shorter than normal at about 9". It has a short mag tube and doesn't appear to be cut but there is the pin locator hole in the end of the barrel leading me to believe it was altered somewhere along the line. My question is how rare is this gun? Also do I do anything about the shorter mag tube. I found a full length replacement at Western Gun Parts in Edmonton, but not sure if I should even touch it or not.

IMG_2023.jpg


IMG_2024.jpg
 
A letter from Winchester would confirm the configuration when the rifle left the factory.
That front sight ramp doesn't look like anything used in 1905.
 
Some time in the life of your rifle the barrel was replaced with a more modern carbine barrel. It has no value as a collector, it is a shooter or a parts gun.
 
Speaking of rebarrelling '94 Winchesters...
A friend had a 4 digit rifle that was essentially smoothbore. He also had the remains of a commemorative that had been used to club a deer; tang snapped off.
The new barrel turned into the old receiver, and torqued to correct index. Subsequently found out that this might be the norm, rather than the exception.
 
A letter from Winchester would confirm the configuration when the rifle left the factory.
That front sight ramp doesn't look like anything used in 1905.

Kinda figured it had been monkeyed with at one point. I got a good deal on it and bought it as a shooter so I am not too concerned about collectors value.
 
Speaking of rebarrelling '94 Winchesters...
A friend had a 4 digit rifle that was essentially smoothbore. He also had the remains of a commemorative that had been used to club a deer; tang snapped off.
The new barrel turned into the old receiver, and torqued to correct index. Subsequently found out that this might be the norm, rather than the exception.

I also have a 4 digit # rifle that was originally a 30 wcf and I replaced it with a 38-55 much later manuf. tube that spun on with a perfect indexing & head-spacing.

I agree on the OP's gun...much later manuf. carbine barrel installed on an old rifle configuration mod 94...probably will be what it was meant to be " a better shooter than it was before".
 
Back
Top Bottom