Winchester "92" Q&A (again)

oldiron

CGN Regular
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
Location
central Alberta
I am supposed to go have a look at a Win. model 92, the guy that knows a guy claims it is chambered in .30-40 Krag. Is this even possible? I have to go look anyways now, but...
 
No! Absolutely No Way! The 1892 was designed to use the same "short cases" as the Win 1873 pistol calibers - 44-40, 38-40 and 32-20 and 25-20. The big brute of a Win 1895 with its long action was chambered for 30-40 krag (also known as the .30 Gov) as well as almost a dozen different calibers including the .405 of Teddy Rosevelt fame. The .30 Gov is a LONG cartridge and I doubt if it would even fit into the open breech of the '92 much less feed through it!!!
 
Back
Top Bottom