Winchester 94 .38-55 value?

Stevo

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
Location
NW Alberta
I'm helping a neighbour figure out what a couple of rifles are worth. It looks to be in original condition other than a home-made replacement for the rear sight ladder. Ser. # is 199### with I believe puts it made in 1896 or '97.

Thanks.

IMG_1306aMedium.jpg

IMG_1307Medium.jpg

IMG_1308Medium.jpg

IMG_1309Medium.jpg
 
Firstly in regards to serial number, its been coming out the last couple years that Madis' original serial numberings are out a few years here and there. I recently purchased a 139### '94 that the Madis numbers put pre-1900 however the factory records show the rifle going out in 1902. Some folks will explain this away as being that the received sat in a bin for somewhere for four of five years before being used....:rolleyes:

Anyhow, Madis would show this rifle going out in 1900, the corrected serials show it going out in 1903. A factor letter would confirm this as well as the other items such as the half oct, length and mag tube length. How's the bore Stevo.

Here is the link about the serial numbers
 
The Madis numbers can be out as much as 4 years as a few dating lists available are.. I have emailed Winchester, not the Cody Museum to get the actual date for my 2 lettered rifles. Both 1906.

Winchester still has the polishing room records and these show when the action was finished and numbered. Closest number I have to your gun is 190079...made 8-28-1903....next is 203012...made 1-11-1904

With the shape it is in now....shotgun stock rather than a rifle stock, cut back barrel, no colour, wood gouges etc. Only the caliber is worth noting. My estimate for a shooter like this is$250- 350.

With a letter from the Cody Museum, confirming that the gun came from the factory with the special items, it could be worth much more.
 
Last edited:
Desirable model with the 1/2 Oct. barrel, this is normally the kind of gun that draws a premium, however their are just enough problems to keep value down. IMHO.....NRA "Fair to Good" cond., most of the bluing is gone, fairly large gouges in buttstock, barrel bobbed I think. $600..IMHO
 
Thanks for the info, gents.

If I understand correctly, it's had the barrel shortened at some point and a shotgun stock installed? And that's it's value is more as a shooter?

The bore was dirty, my neighbour's going to clean it up and see how it looks. He doesn't think it's been shot in 25 years or so.
 
totally an altered gun. Shooter it is unless a period barrel and rifle stock were found to replace the ones on it. DOM are stamped underneath the barrel also. Thus part guns are recognizeable to a person in the know.
 
The buttstock with shotgun butt look original to me and of course could have been a special order, as was the part octagon / part round barrel. I've seen several 1894 rifles with SGBs, and that is the older style consistent with the age of the gun. Hard to tell from the one pic of the end of the barrel, but it appears the barrel has been shortened, as the front sight appears to close to the muzzle. Not sure what to make of the extra barrel stampings. Too bad about the condition. Desireable configuration and caliber.
Matt
 
blue book of gun values puts a 94 in 38-55 in 100% condidtion @$1200.......

20% is about where I would put yours (if yours is all original) $400 to $600, if you can find the right buyer......

If it is not all original, maybe $250 to $300.

Cheers
 
Like Matt says I think the shotgun butt is original, special order like the half round barrel. Sometimes you will find several special features on the same gun. If the barrel was original it should measure 26 inches including the shank but that one looks cut. The front sight dovetail should be exactly 1.00 in. from the end of the barrel to the center of the dovetail. Plus any shorter than standard half round barrels I have seen also had a shorter forend (8 3/8 in. long) as opposed to 9 3/8 in. long to maintain proportion. A nice shooter but not worth any more than $350 IF it has a decent bore, in my opinion.
Extra barrel stamping is some misguided souls initials, I think.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom