Winchester 94 38-55

tokguy

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
Location
Buffalo Republic
Any thoughts on how much to offer for this one?
Win9438-55sight.jpg

I think it's in nice shape
Win9438-55Rside.jpg

Any help would be appreciated
Win9438-55Lside.jpg

Saddle ring is missing but otherwise works fine
 
What does the hollow part inside where the bullet comes through look like? I found the trouble with an old .38-55 especially was finding a nice bore. Since they where one of the first on the scene with the transition from black to smokeless, my theory is when the fellows who had shot black in the .38-55 switched to nitro powders, they thought "Hey this don't look bad, no need to clean." and the mercury fulminate primer residue kicked the crap out of it. I'd say $650 to $750 if the bore is nice, and subtract the price of a barrel or liner if the bore is crap. But depends how bad you want it. I've already got my .38-55. It's away getting a liner put in.
 
depends also on the year of manufacture. My 1909 Winnie 38-55 saddle ring has a great bore and excellent in the bush for deer. Value is about the same as previously mentioned. Earlier the better. The serial number will date approx age.
 
Looking at the top photo where the forearm meets the receiver, shows that someone sanded the bejeebers out of it .... the iron is proud of the wood. Same with the top tang, which is sticking way proud of the wood. Judging from the proof marks on the receiver and barrel, it was likely made after 1905 and the bore should be decent. The metal has no finish, so that will also bring down the price. The sanded wood pretty much removes the collectors value, so if you are buying this as a collectable Winchester, I would pass. However, if you are buying this to shoot and enjoy, then this is a good one, since the collectors value is minimal given the heavily sanded wood and no finish on the metal. Given this, I am thinking that $500 to $650 might be more in line.
 
Well the Marlin .38-55 I have awating a liner is going to be around $300, but it's got the full octagon barrel I'd been wanting so badly. I have no clue what a pipe for an 1894 Winchester would cost. I kinda got stung with that Marlin because the bore was made to look better than it was. I'm told there is a way more unscrupulous dealers can make a rotten bore look OK, and when I started to clean it after some shooting, it looked like a sewer pipe. :redface: Well I'm into it now, I guess I might as well fix the bore up and keep it.
 
You are right Win 38-55....I never noticed the sanded woods, this action alone drops the value greatly. I believe your estimate is much more in line, but this gun would be in the lower range of value. Great caliber for hunting and targets.
 
Thanks all

Thanks for your help all.
I picked it up for 300 $ this aft. Shoots great, punches through 7 to 8 " of wet poplar with factory winchester 255 gr loads( and I've heard they are on the low end power wise; 1100 - 1300 f/sec).
I'll get the bore slugged and make up some handloads after the snow flies.
Again thanks for your time
tokguy
 
I think you got a good deal a $300. The 38-55 is one of my favourite cartridges. The factory ammo is weak. I send my bullets out the barrel at 1400 fps.
 
From the 2009 Standard Catalog of Firearms (19th edition)(pages 1365 & 1366), carbines made prior to 1925 were fitted with a saddle ring on the left side of the receiver and are worth a 35% premium over carbines without a saddle ring and carbines chambered for .25-35 or .38-55 add 25%. At that price you made out like a bandit. Here find out the date of manufacture.

http://armscollectors.com/sn/windates.htm
 
Back
Top Bottom