Winchester Model 1892 44WCF

Skinny 1950

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Location
Vancouver
I recently bought a Model 1892 in 44WCF/44-40.... it was made in 1894.
From what I have read this was a year before the introduction of the new fangled "smokeless" powder in these cartridges.
The rifle came with dies and some brass so I am going to reload some ammo for it, it appears that the previous owners were shooting smokeless through it.
It seems likely that the rifle has seen some black powder shot through it and the bore looks like a gravel road with fairly strong wagon ruts still visible.
I have had experience with front stuffers and handguns using BP but not a repeater rifle and was wondering if cleaning it after use is going to be problematic.
I don't have mould for casting my own bullets but I can get some copper plated 200 grain round nose flat point bullets which would preclude any lube on the bullets or I can wait until I find a mould for bullets that have lube rings on them. Any thoughts on the use of copper plated bullets through this rifle?
 
Years ago I had a model 86 in 45/90 WCF, with the same "gravel road" bore, and "wagon rut" rifling. I shot both black and smokeless out of it, with copper jacketed bullets. It shot remarkably well, IIRC, 4-5" groups @ 100 yards. Give 'er a try....
Glen
 
On them rough bores you may find that casting your own (or finding someone locally who will) is the only way to "dial in" your load - sometimes they need to be a little more than 0.02" over, so it is nice to have some flexibility...sometimes a custom sizer is in order. You won't know until you get into 'er.

Lord knows I don't have time to get into casting either (sort of becomes another hobby unto itself from what I can see), but there are a bunch of kind souls around my parts who DO, for me (for a fair price). Helpful bunch...
 
Back
Top Bottom