Winchester Super X 17HMR problems

MaDgamEr

Member
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Location
Ontarioville
Hey guys, this past weekend I picked up some Win Super X 17HMR because I wanted to try the 20gr in my Savage FVSS. First two rounds went off without a hitch, but then the problems started... At first I thought the extractor must have failed, but after inspecting the casings, it revealed the true problem. 5 casings out of the 20 rounds I fired had split! Anyone come across this? Is it a batch problem, rifle problem or am I just making a big deal out of nothing?

IMGP5386.JPG

IMGP5389.JPG
 
It would appear to be a "Muchado about Something"
I do not shoot HMR. but look forward to the causes for general knowledge purposes.
I would be concerned for sure, hope you kept the ammo box with codes on it.
I would be contacting Winchester(Olin) with your concerns.
Will follow this thread when others have more info and look forward to hear how Winchester deals with your concerns.
Rob
 
I had an NEF sportster in 17 HMR that would split about half of the rounds fired in it just like your pics, but they always ejected fine. I assumed at the time it was due to an overly generous chamber.
I just picked up a new Savage 93r17 GVL last night and a few boxes of ammo including some Winchester super X 20 gr. I'm curious to see how they perform.

-CZ
 
I've got a Marlin 917; fed it Winchester, Hornady and CCI; no splitting problems like that from any brand.

I'd suggest picking up a box of ammo from a different brand and feed those through the Savage and see if there's a repeat. If those cases split, contact Savage. If not, contact Winchester.
 
Winchester has a common problem with splitting cases, fte, and ftf with the hmr ammo. In my 93r17 no other ammo has problems. Everything goes bang the first time and ejects perfect. Not so with winchester. The only winchester ammo I will buy anymore is 22lr
 
I have the Marlin XT17VR and I have used those rounds along with hornady and cci and I havnt had anything split on me!
 
I have a cz 452 that use to do that to just about every brand of ammo I put through it. I have since replaced the barrel (not because of this) and managed to bring the head space a little tighter than factory and have not had a case split since. So it might be caused by a slightly loose head space allowing the case to expand further than it should. This is just my thoughts on it.

stretch
 
Just to clarify guys, the 20gr Winchester Super X is the only ammo that has created any problems what so ever... Its not the rifle, thats for sure. Still nothing back from Win, can't even get a direct email or phone number for them... Not impressed.
 
Just to clarify guys, the 20gr Winchester Super X is the only ammo that has created any problems what so ever... Its not the rifle, thats for sure. Still nothing back from Win, can't even get a direct email or phone number for them... Not impressed.

Thats ####ty man!
 
I just got back from the range with my.17 HMR savage. I had 3 types of ammo. 17gr & 20gr hornady and 20gr Winchester Super X.

20gr hornady was the best at 1/2" @ 100m
17gr hornady was second at 3/4" @ 100m
20gr Winchester was horrible. 1.75-2" @ 100m

above and beyond that 12 of 50 rounds required several strikes to set off and I had on round in the box where the projectile was pushed into the case. there was no powder in the round or any in the plastic box. it was packaged that way.

I didnt get the lot number as I had to wreck the plastic sticker/seal opening the box. normally I would consider this an isolated incident, but after this thread I will not buy any more. I will stock up on Hornady for now.
 
Same thing happened to me last week. Savage BTVS shooting the Winchester 20gr half the rounds had split cases/necks. I only realized after shooting almost a full box. Had a few fte/ftf's but thats it. Never happened w/ Win 17gr or Hornady 20gr. Go figure. I'm shooting Winchester an email.
 
I have empty Winchester cases that look exactly like those- split down the neck. Shot 'em out of my Savage Mako. Remington and Hornady had no probs at all.....
 
I have bought 7 boxes of Win 17gr at wally world when I read all the ammo was produced at the same plant. When ran over the chrony, they were avr 2560fps. I did have several fliers with 10 shot groups that pulled 1 inch to the left of the main group...almost like two groups. Might have been me or wind, will require a second trip to verify. No splits in thew cases. Rifle was Savage 93. Almost 80fps over the Federal with the same bullet...but extreme spread was high with the Winchester.
 
Back
Top Bottom