WW GREENER 12 Gauge SxS

guntech

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
315   0   0
Can anyone help with the age and value of this old Greener?

It is a 12 gauge with 2.5" chambers, locks up tight, very good to excellent bores, wood is very good with no cracks or breaks, horn butt plate. Serial number is 19434.

I am guessing between $500 and $700 at a gun show...?

Greener_12_Sx_S.jpg
 
Last edited:
Sometime between the 1890' s and the start of WWI. Are the barrels Damascus or fluid steel? What about proof marks?

Your estimate of value is likely correct, and I would lean toward the high end. You can always come down in price.

P.S. Did a quick search on google and the serial number seems to place it 1879-1880.
 
Last edited:
It's bad form to PM the poster even to offer higher than his estimate, right? Transactions are supposed to happen in EE. I mean I want to make an offer but that's just not cricket.
 
Last edited:
the price sounds in the right range although shotguns seem to be hard to sell here on the Island. I have a very similar gun from the 1890s if my memory is correct. Definitely a well made dependable gun.

cheers mooncoon
 
It's bad form to PM the poster even to offer higher than his estimate, right? Transactions are supposed to happen in EE. I mean I want to make an offer but that's just not cricket.

It isn't for sale yet and when it is it will be posted in the EE with better pictures and a better description.
 
Well, I learned long ago that when placing a value on an old gun such as this, there is more to it than what outward appearance meets the eye. In this case, it is mentioned there are no cracks. Have you removed the lockplates or stock to see if there are any cracks behind the plates or in the head of the stock? This is very often where the cracking occurs and needs to be addressed. You mention excellent bores. Were bore measurements taken to see if the bores have been honed at some point? Can't tell in the pics but are there any dents in the barrels? Not trying to pick your gun apart but , aside from what the eye can see, these are a few areas which can affect value and are generally concerns to those who actually want to use the gun. Not knowing this information will affect value to these people. From the pics, the barrels look like they might be damascus. If so, this can reduce the value or even turn people away if they are of the mind that damascus is unsafe. Knowing the bore measurements and if there are no cracks internally, can actually increase the value if the gun is in unaltered "in proof" nice condition. If one is just looking for a decoration, then none of this matters.
 
Last edited:
. From the pics, the barrels look like they might be damascus. If so, this can reduce the value or even turn people away if they are of the mind that damascus is unsafe. Knowing the bore measurements and if there are no cracks internally, can actually increase the value if the gun is in unaltered "in proof" nice condition. If one is just looking for a decoration, then none of this matters.

I would consider damascus barrels preferrable because I only ever shoot black powder or light smokeless loads in my Greener. I actually have a hammer double with non damascus barrels and I have less confidence in it because it was made in the 1870s and at that time I would worry more about the quality of "fluid steel" barrels than of damascus barrels

cheers mooncoon
 
I would consider damascus barrels preferrable because I only ever shoot black powder or light smokeless loads in my Greener. I actually have a hammer double with non damascus barrels and I have less confidence in it because it was made in the 1870s and at that time I would worry more about the quality of "fluid steel" barrels than of damascus barrels

cheers mooncoon

I agree as I am one of those who do not mind damascus barrels if they are sound. With damascus you have to find the right buyer if you are trying to get top value as you will find several who will walk away because they believe they are unsafe or they will tell you that they wouldn't pay more than $300.00 for any gun with damascus barrels because they are either unsafe, useless or you can't give them away at selling time. And as mentioned, finding that buyer for an old gun with damascus barrels willing to pay top value is a small market in Canada.
 
Last edited:
There was a 50 year overlap with fluid steel and Damascus. High quality Damacus was better for a number of years...

This shotgun has not been nitro proofed and I am sure it is Damascus.
 
Back
Top Bottom