.380 Status

In practice the only way to really determine what you have is to slug the bore.

I have found that what people refer to as 38 caliber can be all over the place from .340 to .380. Making assumptions is dangerous. You have to actually verify what it is you have by measuring ie. slugging the bore.
 
It doesn't have anything to do with the bore per se'.

It mostly is determined by whether or not the later cartridges will chamber in the cylinders.

The 380cf Webley I have will not accept the later cartridges. Outwardly, they look the same and even accept similar diameter bullets, the catch is that the cylinders of some of these pistols will only accept cartridges cases that have a slight taper and have "heeled" bullets loaded into them with the same diameter case.

Many of these pistols have had their chambers opened up to accept the later dimensioned cases.

You need verification that the chambers won't accept the more modern case.
 
The bore is the most critical measurement.

I purchased a bulldog revolver and was told that 38 S&W would be fine to shoot in it. 38 S&W fits in the chamber just fine but the bore is .345. 38 S&W is .360 diameter and would be dangerous to fire in this revolver.

By slugging the bore you may discover that it isn't 38 caliber at all. It may be something like 340 Revolver (definitely antique) as in the example above
 
Last edited:
It doesn't have anything to do with the bore per se'.

It mostly is determined by whether or not the later cartridges will chamber in the cylinders.

The 380cf Webley I have will not accept the later cartridges. Outwardly, they look the same and even accept similar diameter bullets, the catch is that the cylinders of some of these pistols will only accept cartridges cases that have a slight taper and have "heeled" bullets loaded into them with the same diameter case.

Many of these pistols have had their chambers opened up to accept the later dimensioned cases.

You need verification that the chambers won't accept the more modern case.

What if it was never "designed or adapted" for the Colt 38, but could chamber it anyways? Manufactured firearms have looser tolerances back then, so if the Colt 38 just so happens to be able to be inserted into the cylinder, would that not be the same with the LAR 15 round pistol mags that just so happen to fit the AR-15, thus, legal to use?
 
The bore is the most critical measurement.

I purchased a bulldog revolver and was told that 38 S&W would be fine to shoot in it. 38 S&W fits in the chamber just fine but the bore is .345. 38 S&W is .360 diameter and would be dangerous to fire in this revolver.

By slugging the bore you may discover that it isn't 38 caliber at all. It may be something like 340 Revolver (definitely antique) as in the example above


I'm inclined to agree.....the infamous .320 British's bore is .317 while all the "bad .32's" are along .311 - there's clear difference.


Edit: But please allow me to clarify; what I'm "getting at" is that the original bore attached to a .380 revolver ought to be more of a determinant as to a revolver's original "design" than does the fit of its chambers.
 
Last edited:
While I would like to agree with the lar example, the antique Area of law is so much more strict in my view. I would not personally risk it. In addition, try explaining to the cops that just because it will chamber the 38 LC doesn't mean it can fire it as the barrel is slightly undersized. I bet dollars to their donuts that they say "no chance in hell, you and this gun are coming with us".

Just not something I would personally risk. Now if the cylinder wouldn't rotate or close because the rim was too thick, but the round would fit into the chamber itself, that would likely be fine. But if you could chamber and technically cause the cartridge to discharge, a no go round, safely or unsafely, I would be very hesitant on carrying that in the bush or firing it somewhere restricted cannot be fired. Just my opinion.

I want to say that, according to a distinguished and experienced member on this forum, a revolver that just so happens to chamber and fire 45LC, but was never designed or modified for it (I.e. cylinder develops enough end play over it's life that, eventually, the gun can chamber and fire the thicker rimmed 45LC ammo without problem), this is not necessarily an issue or reason to remove antique status from the gun. It was never designed nor modified for this purpose. Would I personally rely on that in court though? No chance. Crown is likely to say that you intentionally wore down a component to allow it to fire 45LC, or that it was modified just not intentionally, and that the firearm should have been repaired to allow it to remain antique.

I know I certainly wouldn't risk it, so same with the 380 thing.... If you can slip a 38 colt round into it, close and rotate the cylinder, and cause the firing pin to hit the primer, I'd suggest that you are risking bring charged on a number of points of law regarding handing, firing, owning, transporting, a restricted firearm. Will this happen for sure? No, but in this country with these convoluted laws, do you really want to risk it?

I do also realize that, according to
 
The bore is the most critical measurement.

I purchased a bulldog revolver and was told that 38 S&W would be fine to shoot in it. 38 S&W fits in the chamber just fine but the bore is .345. 38 S&W is .360 diameter and would be dangerous to fire in this revolver.

By slugging the bore you may discover that it isn't 38 caliber at all. It may be something like 340 Revolver (definitely antique) as in the example above

Are you referring to bore diameter or groove diameter?
 
What if it was never "designed or adapted" for the Colt 38, but could chamber it anyways? Manufactured firearms have looser tolerances back then, so if the Colt 38 just so happens to be able to be inserted into the cylinder, would that not be the same with the LAR 15 round pistol mags that just so happen to fit the AR-15, thus, legal to use?


It's like old girlfriends of day past some did and some didn't.
 
Back
Top Bottom