Gun enthusiasts are good people

Sixmaniac

Regular
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Due to yet another brain fart, I turned up at my local range Sunday morning to find it was Black Powder day. Still, happy to be a spectator I stayed to watch and enjoy this element of the hobby. I’d been there only minutes before the offers to try different firearms started flooding in. Such a friendly bunch! By the time I left a couple of hours later I had fired two flintlocks, a Martini style 45-70, Snider Enfield, and a small pistol, which I forgot to ask the name of. More than compensation for not being able to use my own guns.
The only downside is that now I may have got the bug! ;)
 
I never even considered shooting black powder. Then one day during a Sunday neighborhood shoot one of my neighbors came out of his house holding a big long 50 cal reproduction flintlock. He handed it to me and said "you can shoot it but I'm warning you, YOU'LL WANT ONE!!"

And the rest is history. Now I shoot a 3 band snider, a 1874 Gras 12g conversion, 2 50 cal hawkens, a 45 cal kentucky long rifle and hopefully this weekend will be my first pull of the trigger with my 71/84 Mauser!!

It's almost getting to the point that I shoot black powder more often then smokeless!

Great fun it is!!!
 
Yep, it's a dangerous part of the hobby to get into! Still have my first BP gun I bought from another board member at a rondy several years back - love it to bits!
 
Don't start on Black Powder it sucks you in wont let you go, it will consume you 24/7. Its dirty, makes you scratch, clouds your vision, lowers your expectations,cant wait for your next "shot" or "hit". First thing you know you wake up 2 yrs later & your the mayor of a large Canadian city sad so sad. Believe me it can happen I heard it on the news!
 
My buddy and I went to Poco range once, only to discover range 7 was closed for some reason. We couldnt shoot.

Oddly enough we had gone there to shoot some blackpowder! Two sparky muzzle feeders, one a rifled 50 and the other a smooth .78 cal (I think?)

But as we walked back to the truck...we heard shots...hmm shotguns! We decided to have a look for 5 minutes, out of boredom disapointment and curiosity...


...15 minutes later we were shooting clays for a game of trap, with borrowed guns! And the addiction to shotgun sports was seeded!

Because of the people at the Trap club at Poco being so open and friendly to new people, we too bought smooth 12bores and became regular participants!
 
1067d1359061954-assault-musket-musketscomparison.jpg
 
Janice got her first .75 a year ago, now is up to SIX of the things: her original English shortie, an iron-barrel Snider, a battered old Zulu gun, another Tabatiere conversion with a new Savage barrel..... and the latest, an 1809 German musket and an 1811 Dutch Cavalry Carbine, either of which which MIGHT have taken a shot at Napoleon.

Somebody once called them "fkkg old things". I have no idea regarding their ### lives, but they certainly MULTIPLY.

Like blessed RABBITS, they multiply!

Getting to the point that it is hard to find an honest Lee-Enfield around here because the whole Front Rank now is so much TALLER! Carcano Carbines are simply LOST.

It's just as much FUN as you allow it to be.
 
The two shooting groups that I have had the most experience with are muzzleloaders and cowboy action shooters. These people were all nothing short of wonderful. They welcome everyone in and share what they have. Like the Book of Acts with guns...
 
Back
Top Bottom