Value of an early 1894 takedown

jimbo45

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 98.9%
179   2   0
Was looking into buying a model 1894 winchester sporting rifle it's a full hexagon barrel. It is a takedown model and locks up nice and tight when assembled has about 95% original finish on barrel and will say about 50% finish on receiver nice untouched screw heads and wood has a few nicks and dings but nothing serious. Bore is minty looking with sharp lands and grooves cal is 32 winchester special. What should I be looking at for price. Should add it's made in 1901
 
Hard to say without pics. Assuming it is a 26 inch barrel standard sporting rifle. Does it have the .32 special smokeless rear sight, it had a large amount of elevation adjustment to allow the smokeless rounds to be reloaded with blackpowder. Your date is a little off the .32 WS was introduced in 1903 so they are probably using George Madis' production numbers which have slight errors. In the condition you describe I would say $1000 to $1400 ballpark. The .32 is also the LEAST desired by Winchester collectors, who knows why. My 2 cents.
 
Jimbo45, a Model 94 TD with full octagon barrel will be worth a significant more than a solid frame, but its condition and any other special order features are also a big factor in value. Some photos would help but, if those are not forthcoming and assuming nothing has been messed with (no sanded and refinished stocks, no reblueing, no extra holes, no cut down muzzle, etc.) a lowball value would be $1,500 in my opinion assuming your description of condition is accurate. I paid a LOT more than that for my Model 1894 TD, but it has at least 90% blue on the receiver, a fair amount of case colour on the lever, is in the slightly more desirable 30 W.C.F., and has a tang sight and Sheard front sight and nice wood.
 
As Mike inferred, pictures are what you need for a proper response as condition is subjective and open to interpretation. 95% original finish on the barrel to one person means 95% of that dark, lustrous Winchester bluing when often, it is really 95% coverage of original blue turned plum or patina. An accurate value will depend on a accurate description. Kirk's comments are bang on.
 
Ya I can't get photos but I think Iam gonna scoop it up if I don't like it Iam sure I will have no problem moving it. I've always wanted a 94 in 32 and the fact it's a take down is a plus I can get it for much less than a grand so even as a shooter I think I'll do ok when I get it I'll try and get some pics up
 
Sounds like you would be wise to snap it up from the sounds of it. Let us know how you like it and make sure to share some pics. Everyone loves pics of an old lever gun :)

Matt
 
As far as the dates are concerned that is a bit of bone of contention.
I do however think the 32 Special was first released in Nov 1901

I have a Cody certificate for a 32 Spec I have here(SN 172###) that shows February 1902 and was shipped to a general store in Mar of that same year
 
Here are the production dates for the first 32W.S. Model 1894 rifles. These are based on the original production ledgers kept by Winchester.
32 W.S. Rifle - serial number 107731, 10-5-1901
32 W.S. Carbine - serial number 22967, 8-27-1902 (by serial number order)
32 W.S. Carbine - serial number 142889, 5-10-1902 (by date order)

Michael
 
A lever action made in 1901 and chambered in .32 Special is neither an antique nor BP.
A Win 1894 Deluxe, .32 WIN, mfg. 1901, ½ magazine takedown, 32 special sight, sold for $5250US on iCollector last year. Another, made in 1920, on guns international is listed at $1595.
Of course, U.S. values mean nothing here. Condition and finding somebody who wants it matters more.
 
A lever action made in 1901 and chambered in .32 Special is neither an antique nor BP.
Well that's not entirely true.
The first appearance of the 32WS in the catalogue is a full page add which includes BP loads and muzzle velocities
So obviously there was still a large enough market hunter/trapper roll your own crowd.
At the same time period there was also a Winchester loading tool and mold sold for the 32WS
This was obviously oriented towards BP as reloading smokeless was frowned upon at that time
Also the twist rate was slowed to 1:16 which would have no sound ballistic reason unless you were catering to a load your own BP market.

So although it is not exclusively a BP round most would agree the 32WS had no other purpose.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom