R.E.A.L. Boolits and Bore Butter

plinker 777

BANNED
BANNED
BANNED
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
70   0   1
So I took my .50 cal Thompson's Hawken to the range today with several pounds of newly cast R.E.A.L. boolits, and after sorting out some frustrating ignition problems (cap lock) I began to experiment.

Using Bore Butter heavily lubed in the grooves, not only was I amazed how nicely they loaded, but also after running a dry patch down the bore I'll swear most of the fouling came out stuck to the patch (on a jag)...so I wondered with the ease of loading and the softness of the fouling, "how many rounds before I start to have issues seating the boolit?"

30 rounds later, the gun was still on POI, I could have still easily loaded again (and again, and again it would seem) but I had to go! No swab, no brush, nothing! PRB's can pound salt!

I used three forths of a pound of FF Goex Black (60 grain loads) all told today.

I've used Bore Butter on patches in the past, but the self cleaning action of these R.E.A.L. boolits lubed with butter are clearly the way to go IMHO.

Has anyone else used these with similar effect, or had problems? I'm so stoked I don't understand why these projectiles are such a secret?
 
I cast soft REALs for mine as well. I ran them down with no lube, and I ran out of time after about fifteen 80gr shots (no cleaning in between).

No problems at all, I'm very pleased with the accuracy and ease of loading in my Traditions Pursuit LT
 
With my home cast round balls and home cut and lubed patches, I can do the same.
( I sell my patches all over Canada and the States because they work so well )

BTW, I am glad the REALs are working for you. There is nothing wrong with using what works for you and if you hunt they will carry a punch.
 
At the last black powder shoot up at my range I had a chance to really test the r.e.a.l. bullets and was also impressed with the ease of loading and accuracy of these projectiles.
I made a heavy duty ram rod from fibreglass with a special tip that allows pushing the bullets down without damaging them.
I got about 35 shots off without swabbing the bore and probably could have kept on shooting except I ran out of powder and time.
One target out at 100 meters had four hits out of six shots with two in the black...which for me is pretty decent.
I was shooting an Investarms .54 cal. Flint lock with 1:48 twist.

 
^I'll need to find a starter and rod with the proper profiled tips. My ball starter did alter the nose of the bootit a little bit. This disfiguring didn't seem to affect accuracy but I was shooting at a 50 yard target, it would no doubt come into play out at 100yrds.

Anybody know of a good place to start looking, or is this a "make yerself" type of attachment?
 
All you use is 60 grains of ffg ? Doesent sound like anything but a 50 yard target load. Im hurling my 45cal cast boolits downrange using 120 grains of fffg (530 grain projectile with a cardboard wad behind the projectile. Produces very little smoke and no flames from a 38" bbl)
 
All you use is 60 grains of ffg ? Doesent sound like anything but a 50 yard target load. Im hurling my 45cal cast boolits downrange using 120 grains of fffg (530 grain projectile with a cardboard wad behind the projectile. Produces very little smoke and no flames from a 38" bbl)

What kind of gun you are loading this heavy? That's way over any load table I have seen.
 
What kind of gun you are loading this heavy? That's way over any load table I have seen.

Repro rigby sporting rifle. Long range target gun. And far from it. The guys at my hunt camp all use flints 54 cal and all use over 100grains of ffg. 60 grains is barely a puff.
 
All you use is 60 grains of ffg ? Doesent sound like anything but a 50 yard target load. Im hurling my 45cal cast boolits downrange using 120 grains of fffg (530 grain projectile with a cardboard wad behind the projectile. Produces very little smoke and no flames from a 38" bbl)
Holy crap you must have a shoulder of steel OUCH!!
 
What weight were your REAL bullets? I have tried both 250 and 320 gr REAL slugs. I found the 320 grainers were much more accurate. I use 70-90 grs of Pyrodex in my .50 cal Lyman Trade Rifle (percussion) and a homemade lube (beeswax and bear grease.
 
Not sure who the question was directed to, but I am using the 250's. The bullet drop compensating scope I have on my traditions is calibrated for 250gr.

I know...scope a bp rifle? It was purchased as a hunting gun. ;)

I've never tried others.
 
All you use is 60 grains of ffg ? Doesent sound like anything but a 50 yard target load. Im hurling my 45cal cast boolits downrange using 120 grains of fffg (530 grain projectile with a cardboard wad behind the projectile. Produces very little smoke and no flames from a 38" bbl)

50 yard target load is absolutely what I was doing that day. I'll typically load 70-80 {perhaps 90} grains of FF in my .50 if I'm shooting out to 100 yds, and the same in FFF in my .45 out to 100 yds. Truth be told, I don't notice much of a drop differential between loads from 70-90 grains. So insignificant, I can't tell if it is actually dropping or if it's my placement. Holy Black being somewhat expensive and hard to find, I won't shoot hunting loads into paper unless I'm sighting the rifle in for hunting...I was just plinking that day.

I haven't weighed these R.E.A.L.'s yet. By feel, they're heavier than balls and lighter than Minnie's. What's the conversion math from grams to grains?
 
There are 15.4324 grains per Gram, my boolits are 330 grains, for the 54 cal I found a good plinking load is 70 grains FFFG and even at that the powder consumption is alarming. I have to really scrounge to find powder close to where I live so I tend to be thrifty with it.
 
plinking for me is difficult with my gun, barrel is .451 boolits are sized to .450, don't get to many shots before the bore is fouled bad enough i cant push a round down. (3 is my max between cleanings) i bring a nylon brush to clean the bore, and a bottle of expensive windshield wiper fluid to wipe the bore out every couple cleanings.
 
There are 15.4324 grains per Gram, my boolits are 330 grains, for the 54 cal I found a good plinking load is 70 grains FFFG and even at that the powder consumption is alarming. I have to really scrounge to find powder close to where I live so I tend to be thrifty with it.

Kewl...so my .50 cal REAL's weigh in at 17 grams even which= 262.3508 grains {to be exact :p}; My .50 Minnie's weigh in at 24 grams which = 370.4 grains; and a ball weighs in at 12 grams which = 185 grains.

Or...the R.E.A.L = 1 and a half balls, and the Minnie weighs 2 balls...coincidence? Me thinks not.:)
 
Back
Top Bottom