Antique repairs??

9.mm

Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Location
Ontario
I recently got a antique bulldog in 38 Rimfire as a trade from another member. First off the revolver is great in a number of ways. The nickel is in great shape and the mainspring and trigger return spring function good. The problems I do have is in the cylinder retainer pin. When I cycle the revolver is single action the cylinder retainer pin turns with the cylinder, and when I dry fire (dont kill me guys), the cylinder retainer pin actually moves forward out of the position. The pin does not lock into the frame at all. Any advice guys? It is a nice piece and I would love to repair it if possible. Any help or ideas would be great. Cheers fellas and hope you all had a great Father's Day.
 
Quit shooting it for one. It's damaged.
Fixing it will likely cost a bundle and it'll depend on which 'Bulldog' you have. Assuming its one of the Webley's(it a Webley or Forehand and Wadsworth? Not that it makes any difference), there's no place for a smithy to buy parts so they'll be cu$tom made. Mind you, if you do it yourself, you could make most of the pin type parts out of mild steel bar stock. Pins etc don't really need to be very hard and threading 'em can easily be done with a tap and die set. Of course, you'll need to know what the treads are and if they're the current standard sizes.
Oh and you should know better than to dry fire a rimfire.
 
I recently got a antique bulldog in 38 Rimfire as a trade from another member. First off the revolver is great in a number of ways. The nickel is in great shape and the mainspring and trigger return spring function good. The problems I do have is in the cylinder retainer pin. When I cycle the revolver is single action the cylinder retainer pin turns with the cylinder, and when I dry fire (dont kill me guys), the cylinder retainer pin actually moves forward out of the position. The pin does not lock into the frame at all. Any advice guys? It is a nice piece and I would love to repair it if possible. Any help or ideas would be great. Cheers fellas and hope you all had a great Father's Day.


Is this particular gun a iver johnson american bulldog with a real nice nickel finish on it?

If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's been replated as some point and alot of meat was taken off the cylinder walls, not sure If id fire it they are so thin.

Anyway the cylinder pin retainer is probably missing some meat on it as to not be catching the pin on the groove properly and the spring is also too weak as well.

These american bulldogs very commonly have cylinder pin retainer issues, it's just a design flaw.

You will either have to tack on some extra material or make a new retainer yourself as well as find or make a V spring.
 
I've an F & W hammer that is surplus to my needs should it come in handy.
It was brought in from Numrich to attempt to repair a .44 F & W Bulldog but it turned out to be too short for a 44. That puts it into 38 territory unless I miss my guess; rimfire or centerfire is unknown, not sure if this helps or not.
But should it be of assistance PM me; I'll give it to you for cost.
 
pics help more.

This. Have you taken it apart? Put pressure on the side plate (press down with your fingers) when removing the retaining screw(s), to protect the threads,

Also, I dry fired my rimfire revolver once (set the chamber to the wrong position when firing) and just freaked out at the thought of it, since the hammer already is 1/3 missing presumably because someone thought it would be fun to dry fire.

LET THE HAMMER DOWN WITH YOUR THUMB. Or put some spent brass in the cylinder, at least.
 
Back
Top Bottom