Hello i've just traded up to a TC Hawken .54 ca, which inluded all the stuff needed, and I haven't shot it yet. I've read the posts and am quite confident that there will be no problems but I do have a few questions.
If i'm using a moose milk type lube ie cutting fluid,murphys, alcohol water or windex, can this be used as a solvent between shots or as needed?
What are the chances of the roundball getting stuck in the bore? I understand about forgetting to load the rifle so I'll attempt to avoid this. I am using .531" dia lead roundball with some round cotton cleaning patches that were pre-cut to 1.5" dia. I have no clue how thick they are but I would say the patches are as thick as a heavy Tee shirt. Ive cut my own too ranging around .925" and 1.25" dia. I haven't tried to start a roundball yet so I don't know which should fit. I assume my smaller patch would be a good start. Is it better to spray or dip the patche and ring out to just damp?l
I also have the bore butter stuff and sno seal type boot protector paste. Is this good for patches or is moosemilk type better?
Is it better to use petrolium ie CLP, MOBIL1 for the barrel when left for awhile? Then clean with isoprop alcohol?
Thanks. Everybody seems to have a "best" concocotion or method so I'm a little confused and my big shooting day is coming up!!! So if that setup looks good to you experts and you can fill in the blanks, I'll be up and running!
Thanks in advance and any basic info that Ive miissed will be appreciated.
cheers
If i'm using a moose milk type lube ie cutting fluid,murphys, alcohol water or windex, can this be used as a solvent between shots or as needed?
What are the chances of the roundball getting stuck in the bore? I understand about forgetting to load the rifle so I'll attempt to avoid this. I am using .531" dia lead roundball with some round cotton cleaning patches that were pre-cut to 1.5" dia. I have no clue how thick they are but I would say the patches are as thick as a heavy Tee shirt. Ive cut my own too ranging around .925" and 1.25" dia. I haven't tried to start a roundball yet so I don't know which should fit. I assume my smaller patch would be a good start. Is it better to spray or dip the patche and ring out to just damp?l
I also have the bore butter stuff and sno seal type boot protector paste. Is this good for patches or is moosemilk type better?
Is it better to use petrolium ie CLP, MOBIL1 for the barrel when left for awhile? Then clean with isoprop alcohol?
Thanks. Everybody seems to have a "best" concocotion or method so I'm a little confused and my big shooting day is coming up!!! So if that setup looks good to you experts and you can fill in the blanks, I'll be up and running!
Thanks in advance and any basic info that Ive miissed will be appreciated.
cheers
Last edited:



















































