my french mas 1873

burnt_servo

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
well , I have had more than a few guys asking me questions about my schofield conversion on my French 1873 .
I thought it might be of interest to others , so I am posting a thread on it .

----------

first off , the cylinder is 1.350" long , 45 schofield's oal is supposed to be 1.450" ( roughly ) , but it isn't that big of a deal to sink the bullets 100 thou deeper .
I am also using a 216 grain bullet and not a 250 grain , so the actual volume of the case with the 216 grain bullet would be roughly the same as a factory 250 grain .

imr's reloading page lists trail boss for the 200 and 230 grain bullets at 5 grains of powder , and the 250 grain at 4.8 grains , with pressures around 13,000 cup .

so I feel fairly certain that 5 grains of trailboss behind a 216 grain bullet at a oal of 1.345" to be safe .

many of these guns are chambered in 45 acp and 455 webley .
the fiocchi 455 webley I have , on the box is rated at 850 fps with a 265 grain bullet .
now if you start comparing case capacity between 455 and 45 acp , I am thinking that the fiocchi ammo is running very similar pressures to 45acp .

so what I am getting at is , I have yet to see pictures of blown up French 1873s from either 45 acp or 455 fiocchi webley ammo .

so with my handloads on the 45 schofield case I am only 2/3's the pressure of 45acp , basicly lots of room for safety here .


the picture below show that the 45 sch case is roughly 1/3 more case capacity with a bullet in place than the 455 .( the green line on the sch case is the base of the bullet inside of the case . )

left to right , 44mag , 45 colt , 45sch , 455 webley ( fiocchi)

IMG360_zpseeae40cc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

---------------

the throats on the 1873 where around .445" .

after slugging my barrel the slug comes out sort of oblong , the grove diameter on one side measure .458 , on the other side .453 .
the tops of the rifling measure .440 and .441 . ( 4 grooves , 4 lands to measure across from ) .

so what was happening was the bullet was getting swaged down to .445 , then was just barely engaging the rifling .
I understand with blackpowder that a pressure spike is wanted to get a complete burn , and this is why many of the older guns had tight throats .

but it is also my feeling that the antiques that you do hear about coming apart are ones with tight throats and high pressure jacketed ammo being fed through them .

so what I am doing instead is , I opened up the throats until a .451 bullet slid easily through them ( they ended up just a hair over .453 )

IMG370_zps58f73c59.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG371_zpsd6e92c46.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]


-----------------------------------------

now when I cut the chamber I initially used a 45 acp reamer since it was sharper than my 45 colt reamer .
I cut down so the edge where 45acp headspaces off of was 1.120" ( 45 sch brass is 1.1" long )

I then finished cutting the chambers and throat with the 45 colt reamer . what I ended up with was all 6 chambers with a throat that was .140" long at the end of the cylinder .

I used a 44 mag reamer to cut the rear of the cylinder for the rim to set the headspace .

this allowed me to create a slight step so I could also use 455 webley .

IMG367_zps3733cb6d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

in the above picture you can see the dark ring on each cylinder where 455 headspaces on .

I ended up setting the headspace of the 45 schofield cases between just over 2 thou and just under 2.5 though .
the 455 cases ended up having around 23 thou clearance and they sat about 10 thou below the rear of the cylinder . the 45 sch cases are 10 thou proud of the rear of the cylinder.

IMG365_zpsee3f2481.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

the above pic is with the 455 cases

IMG369_zpsd86ef677.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

the above pic is with the 45 sch cases .

the pic below is a 20 thou feeler gauge in behind a 455 case .

IMG361_zps2ea1e37d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]


initially I had issues with the face of the primer stretching backwards into the unsupported area around the firing pin , and almost locking up the cylinder .

the firing pin was also hitting towards to the edge of the primer , rather than the middle ( see pic below )
IMG341_zps28de2f32.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I gently warmed up the tip of the firing pin and tapped it down a hair and a half :D
then filed the end flat and reshaped it so it was hitting dead center .


pic below , the bottom 3 primers are before reshaping , the top 3 are after reshaping . all primers are cci mag pistol primers except the one in the 10 o'clock position which is a Remington 9 1/2 mag rifle primer .


IMG343_zps6c5f25c4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]



i'll add more as I think of it .
 
Last edited:
i have a belgian gun thatr does the same thing with the primers bulging and firing pin striking off center. I see a solution here. I will try this fix. Thanks
 
i have a belgian gun thatr does the same thing with the primers bulging and firing pin striking off center. I see a solution here. I will try this fix. Thanks

what I found was happening was too much pressure from just the primer firing was pushing the face of it outwards .

the flash holes in my cases where 5/64" .
just enlarging them to 7/64 while using a cci mag primer almost fixed the problem without the hammer mods .

I haven't tried this yet with a regular primer , but try drilling a flash hole to 6/64" ( 3/32" ) with a regular primer and see if that works for you .

I had a few people tell me in pm that my headspace was too tight . so what I did was thin the rim down so I had 10 thou clearance and that seemed to make things worse .

hope this helps :)
 
Back
Top Bottom