Reloading for 577 snider

drslav

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
284   0   0
Location
Kanadastan
I have a1860 snider. I bought some brass for it. But... One is a 2" she'll and rest are 1 5/8" . Can anyone tell me how much powder I should use in them and what type? I prefer BP not substitutes and have 3f and 2f. Thanks.
 
This is an old but tried and true recipe that leaves a less fouling and is accurate as long as your bullets are the right diameter.

First, your bullets should be hollow based with some sort of expander in the base. I use autobody filler. Cheap. Some fellows make up the plugs and push them in, I just fill the cavity and let it do the work of expanding the bullet skirt. Works fine.

I use CCI 250 Magnum primers under 6 grains of HS6, under 60 grains of FFG.

Nice safe load that seems to work just fine in both my rifle and carbine. Even in the winter, very few if any unburned kernels of powder on the snow in front of the muzzle.

One other neat trick I picked up a few moons ago for black powder cartridge rifles. It is cheap and very available in all of the hardware stores, Canadian Tire etc. Beeswax toilet sealing rings have just the right mixture to adhere to the bullets when you roll them in it, after they are loaded of course and just before inserting them into the chamber. The wax softens the BP fouling in the bore in front of the bullet as it progresses through the bore. Saves a lot of scrubbing between shots or other methods, such as exhaling down the bore. Helps keep the groups reasonably tight.

Pretty much coincides with Mike Venturino's article in the last Handloader magazine. The product he uses is called SGR, which looks very similar and I suspect may be the same thing at ten times the price.
 
I seen some guy putting paper to fill the case. Is that acceptable?

That trick came from Smellie; it's a British Army thing.
I used a box that welding rods came in; Liquid Air IIRC. Non corrugated cardboard(0.30" thick) cut into 1 3/8" x 1 5/8" rectangles
Wrapped it around an 8 x 57 mm case and inserted it into the case. I liked it because the HB bullets ( HB filled with wax ) wanted to drop into the case slightly. The cardboard provided a perfect lip for them.
I suppose COW method would work just as well.
The cardboard tube just worked well for me...and the British army as well as the US apparently. I recall that 45-70 carbines used the same trick to reduce the loads. Cases retrieved from Little Big Horn still had tubes in them, I read somewhere...don't recall exactly though.
Good luck. Remember...no air gap, full case always. No matter what method you use.
 
now that you mention it i have one berdan primed case that i ruined has a cardboard like tube in it. Interesting. Now maybe a stupid question... Why the thing with no air gap?
 
I have heard conflicting stories re air gaps and the requirement for filler. A good thread here on BMF (Martini based though)

h t t p://britishmilitariaforums.yuku.com/reply/108788/Martini-load#reply-108788
 
I'm under the impression that toilet seals are made from a synthetic wax now? I work in the plumbing industry and to my knowledge bees wax has not been used for some time. However, if it works who cares lol. I'm definitely going to give it a try! Magnum primers are the way to go as it burns the powder more efficiently. I use corn meal as a filler for two reasons: 1st it scours the bore each shot and reduces the fouling significantly. 2nd I believe that when the cartridge is fired it becomes a solid plug that causes the hollow base of the minnie to expand.

Cheers all.

This is an old but tried and true recipe that leaves a less fouling and is accurate as long as your bullets are the right diameter.

First, your bullets should be hollow based with some sort of expander in the base. I use autobody filler. Cheap. Some fellows make up the plugs and push them in, I just fill the cavity and let it do the work of expanding the bullet skirt. Works fine.

I use CCI 250 Magnum primers under 6 grains of HS6, under 60 grains of FFG.

Nice safe load that seems to work just fine in both my rifle and carbine. Even in the winter, very few if any unburned kernels of powder on the snow in front of the muzzle.

One other neat trick I picked up a few moons ago for black powder cartridge rifles. It is cheap and very available in all of the hardware stores, Canadian Tire etc. Beeswax toilet sealing rings have just the right mixture to adhere to the bullets when you roll them in it, after they are loaded of course and just before inserting them into the chamber. The wax softens the BP fouling in the bore in front of the bullet as it progresses through the bore. Saves a lot of scrubbing between shots or other methods, such as exhaling down the bore. Helps keep the groups reasonably tight.

Pretty much coincides with Mike Venturino's article in the last Handloader magazine. The product he uses is called SGR, which looks very similar and I suspect may be the same thing at ten times the price.
 
I don't know if it's synthetic or not. It smells like beeswax and sticks like you know what to the bullet. It doesn't take very much either. Just a bit smeared around the ogive and all is well.

At less than $5 per ring, it's as cheap as it gets and is easily stored in a different container or forced into a tube for easy carry.

I just use the short cases and the powder seems to fill the case and be slightly compressed. The autobody putty in the base just makes sure it works better. Without it, the rifles aren't nearly as accurate.

I see a lot of hype about measuring powder by volume. Not sure why. I have always loaded by weight when reloading off the bench. Even with muzzle loaders, I take along plastic vials with measured charges in them. I do the same for 45-70 in my 1874 Sharps. Whether it really makes a difference or I'm just being anal I don't know. I know it works for me.
 
Buy a copy of Lyman's BP Handbook and Reloading Guide. I think there are .577 loads in it.
BP is loaded by volume because the manuals give data in grains by volume not mass. The amount of powder by volume isn't the same as the mas weight either.
 
If it's BP and a full case; whether displacing the extra volume with a cardboard tube or COW / Cornmeal, you won't have a wreck. Smokeless or BP sub...I wouldn't go there myself. Hard to tell what the outcome will be.
I run 90 gr of 1.5 Fg in my S-E loads and it's a pussy cat to shoot. Don't go with any less than FFg IMO.
Personally I'd stay with a volumetric measure, but in the end you will decide what advice you take and what you discard. Just wear safety glasses please, you only get one set of eye's.
 
577 reloading

59962f1cab95fe08e2d42f1f7a89044d_zps86bff25d.jpg

e28c848a86118f2b81de1297fcdd1a9c_zpsfae1248d.jpg

3ba43ca1e7a292406d47ef5d0801c9cd_zpsc1714c1e.jpg

679c674ec98972cc2d44187d13e451c9_zps8defc224.jpg

f070ce63bf6e34a3ad68c3793002e390_zps3ee51c9f.jpg

fe8833815ff7830422bb865850b167f4_zps327aed61.jpg

34128997419329bcbe86305ade58cfe2_zps73740730.jpg

a7aacd643e38c9298b53eda51ff96ef7_zpsb334fd45.jpg

895f842f2e3115284dcdce01cfc5ef36_zpsf7868836.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom