Totally smitten by the 1886 but relatively clueless - looking for good advice

Big_Bear

Member
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
Location
Southern QC
Just want to start by saying how much I appreciate this forum and all the knowledgeable folks who share what they know. I hope to be able to give back once I feel I've learned something worth sharing:D

I've decided I have to have a Winchester 1886 in 45-70. Equal parts anticipation and trepidation.

My heart tells me to buy an old one but my wallet says to get a repro. Can anyone who has experience with both shed some light?

I have about $1000 give or take to put towards this. Is it at all realistic to expect to find an old shooter for this money? I'm aware that for this price I'd be looking at possible modifications, part replacements and amateur refinishing jobs.

Other than the EE can anyone share any leads on good places to buy these guns in Canada. I did find a few on gunbroker in my price range but buying in the states seems like a huge hassle. Is it worth it if the price is right?

Has anyone got any tips on what to look for when buying these guns used? I'm familiar with the model 94 but I know the action is different on the 1886. Is it normal for the action to be a bit sloppy like the old 94s?

Thanks in advance!
 
I think you'd be hard pressed to find a decent original 1886 in .45-70 for that money. It's probably the most desirable cartridge for most people. A few years ago I found a decent shootable 1886 in .38-56 for $1200. Not many people are interested in that cartridge but it is exactly what I was looking for. I'll bet that if it was a .45-70 the fellow could have got twice the price for it though.

For the money I'd look for a used modern one. I have one of the new Winchester1886's in .45-70 made by Miroku in Japan. If you can live with the rebounding hammer and tang safety you'll probably like it a lot. Very occasionally you can run into one of the used ones with the full length octagonal barrel and no tang safety, but they are hard to come by.

That's about all of the advice I can give. I'm mostly a single shot rifle guy, but also really like the 1886.

Good luck on your quest.

Chris.
 
Oh, one more thing, Ellwood Epps in Ontario, also a supporter of this forum, seems to often have a decent selection of Winchester leverguns. They are good people to deal with.

Chris.
 
If you are not set on an original old production gun, we just received one of the new production (Japanese made) Winchester 1886 Short Rifles (24" barrel). Price is $1299
 
I had a 1886, manufactured in 1888. It was a fantastic rifle and I regret selling it. I seem to remember asking $1200 for it and my PM box was filled in minutes, meaning I didn't ask enough.
 
I bought one of the recent Winchester 1886's made by Miroku and it is a very nice rifle, I wanted an 1886 for many years and knew that these latest ones wouldn't be around too long. It may be hard to find even a new made one for $1000 as they were a limited run item.
 
Pay a little extra for an original, you won't regret it. You should be able to get a decent .45/70 for around $1200-$1500 a lot less if you buy one that has been drilled for a receiver sight or side mounted scope. If you want a shooter it will make no difference. It will never be worth less than you paid.
 
Here you go.
ht tps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY6zRLFY1HM
ht tps://www.marstar.ca/dynamic/category.jsp?catid=83519
 
To buy an original in as good a shape as a new production in 45-70 you are going to spend $3500 or more. I would buy a reproduction if I wanted something for hunting that is accurate and only had a thousand dollars to spend. I have a 1886 in 40-65 that is in decent shape and I wouldn't let it go for less than $3000.
 
I have owned a few '86's, they are one of my favourite rifles ever. I currently own a 45/90, and a .33 WCF. The .33 might be an alternative for you, probably cheaper than most, certainly cheaper than 45/70. Lots of the .33's you find were originally chambered in one of the old black powder cartridges, then later rebarrelled for the "new smokeless" cartridge. Such rifles are usually decent shooters, and don't have the same value as an original untouched 45/70. I totally understand your dilemma, but I am just thinking out loud about alternatives that would allow you to stay in budget, and still have a shooter. The .33, or 38/56 would do that for you, and your money would be safe, because whichever one you buy will always be worth what you paid. Buy one, keep saving, and when you find the one you want, you're set.
Another option...the '92 is an identical action, only scaled down, chambered in the smaller cartridges. They can be a ton of fun to shoot, and typically sell for a bit less than the '86. I have one in 25/20, and it is a hoot!
I don't have any experience with the new ones, but before I invested, I would look around for an original, even if it was not your dream calibre. As was mentioned above, 38/56 would be excellent, and you might even find you like it so much, you would forget about the .45's. For one thing, I am here to tell you that the 45/90, with a crescent butt plate, loaded right up with a 400+ grain bullet, will bang you up some, if you are the least bit recoil sensitive. All that said, my .45 is not for sale :)
 
I have owned three different original Model 1886's chambered in 45-70, one of which I still own (full octagon barrel, still traces of case colouring on receiver sides). Also, I have owned two different modern reproduction '86's chambered in 45-70, one of which I still own (Browning Model 1886 SRC). There is something about an original that a modern repro does not have .... history, mystique, the feeling of a century of autumn woods out hunting. For an unmessed with original 86, I think you will be very lucky to find one under $2,000. If it has been drilled, shortened or sanded, you might get it for $1,000. The Browning SRC, however, is one of my favourites as well. You can still find them used, in excellent condition, in the states. Prophet River will take care of the importation. When it comes to pure fondling pleasure, however, nothing beats an original '86.
 
One thing to keep in mind concerning the 38-56 over the 45-70 is that by the time you purchase forming dies/custom loading dies if you don't already have something that will work may more than offset the price difference between the two calibers.

Other than being very lucky and finding a box or two of factory brass at a gunshow, the only way to fire a 38-56 is to re-form 45-70 brass. Buffalo Arms used to sell already formed brass but won't ship to Canada anymore (unless that has changed very recently).
 
I was thinking the same thing but it has the almighty rare HEX barrel on it. Seeing as all the ones I've seen had octagon barrels it must be very rare and worth more. It's like people never went to school or can't count or don't know how many legs an octapus has or is it a hexapus.
 
I was thinking the same thing but it has the almighty rare HEX barrel on it. Seeing as all the ones I've seen had octagon barrels it must be very rare and worth more. It's like people never went to school or can't count or don't know how many legs an octapus has or is it a hexapus.

Plus the Special Smokeless sight on it (which is only seen on 1894 rifles in .32 WS) is mounted backwards in one photo.
 
I got beaten to a Pedersoli version in .38-55, complete with Soule long-range vernier sights, a hundred cases, dies and five hundred bullets, by about ten minutes.....it had the crescent butt-plate, and may not have
been the most comfortable version to shoot for any long period of time, but it was totally gorgeous in every respect.

tac
 
I got beaten to a Pedersoli version in .38-55, complete with Soule long-range vernier sights, a hundred cases, dies and five hundred bullets, by about ten minutes.....it had the crescent butt-plate, and may not have
been the most comfortable version to shoot for any long period of time, but it was totally gorgeous in every respect.

tac

Too bad you missed it.
I always found the .38/55 very pleasant to shoot even in a t shirt with a crescent butt plate.
 
Back
Top Bottom