45-90 Ammo in Canada?

I owned a 45-90 for several years and never found a source here or USA that sold loaded rounds. I strongly suspect you will have to find a comrade to reload for you or get all the gear to load your own. The latter is a sensible way to go because in most cases you will have to work up an accurate load for your rifle and it may be different than factory ammo or someone else's. I assume you are loading black powder as most 45-90's are designed only for BP only.
 
Starline makes 45-90 brass and dies are readily available. Worst case scenario, you can use 45-70 dies with some adjustment. That is how I used to load 45-90's.
 
PMC once factory loaded smokeless 45-90 and sold them in Canada, but beware of them if you ever find some old stock. I bought some (6 boxes) and found the powder to be contaminated with something in all of them. Some of the powder I removed was white, some was grey and some was a very bright purple. If you do find some I recommend strongly that you pull the bullets and change the powder.
 
If you are at the point of being interested in semi-obscure cartridges like the 45-90, then it's time you started thinking about reloading. You can't go there without it.
 
If you are at the point of being interested in semi-obscure cartridges like the 45-90, then it's time you started thinking about reloading. You can't go there without it.
I would second the motion. Once you start reloading, and it is not that difficult, you can load for just about anything.
 
If you are at the point of being interested in semi-obscure cartridges like the 45-90, then it's time you started thinking about reloading. You can't go there without it.

Yes I experienced that too...
and that's the start for more and more rifles in semi-obscure calibers. :)
 
Rustwood (another site sponsor) also carries it. Bullet Barn has .45-90 in stock also (I've bought some .45-90 from them personally). Another option is the .45 basic brass offered by many of the above dealers, just trim it back. I got my dies from CH4-D but as noted above, .45-70 dies can be made to work. Lyman I believe also offers it, and exporting dies from the USA is a non-issue.

Good luck!
 
Back
Top Bottom