Husky cape gun buck and ball with pictures!

BSA Jack

Regular
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
So I finally got around to shooting my old Husqvarna Cape Gun that I acquired last year. Rifle barrel is the usual 12.17 X 44 or just about a 50-70, cases can be made by cutting and fire-forming 348 Win. I had got some loaded rounds with it and decided to shoot them, was going to pull the bullets because not sure how they were loaded. but you got to live a little, take a chance sometimes:) What I really wanted to do was work up some buck and ball loads for the 16 bore side. Loading BP is not my first rodeo, doing it for over 50 years but still learn lots of things. Started out with old CIL stuff, 1/2 inch felt wads and 1/8 cardboard and plastic shot cups and cloth patched .600 ball . Horrible, lot of smoke :rolleyes:, lot of kick:welcome: and 3 1/2 foot group with balls at 50 yards , not sure where the buck went.. Ok so I got to go more modern, ---75 grains FFFG , 1/8 cardboard, Remington SP 16 wads cut at bottom of shot cup, .50 cal muzzle loading cushion wad in bottom of SP, 8 number 4 buck, which worked out square in fours, Some good old cornmeal with a .600 ball just inside the wad petals and star crimped it all in brand new cases. See the pictures below, very pleased with my first target with these loads , I think I could fine tune the sighting. The rifle barrel seems to consistently shoot about four or so inches high with full sight at 50, will try it at 100 Yds and adjust my picture from there. was just shooting over a rolled up coat on bench but fast sort of like I was hunting. Plan on shooting an anterless Cypress Hills Mulie with this. Cheers.















 
Last edited:
I have looked at those at Tradex and wondered how they would be. I'm looking forward to hearing more about your cape gun.

If I'm reading it right, this site http://www.skydevaaben.com/allhvamodels/info.xml says it's a Model 17B, which came with either a 16 or 20 ga by 2.5" and a 12.17 x 44R barrel. Made between 1891 and 1942. I wonder if anyone knows how to date these by serial number?

I have a Husqvarna 12.7 x 44R rolling block from Tradex that I haven't got around to doing anything with yet, another reason I'll be looking for more of your experiences with this firearm.
 
Hi. This link might help you with serial numbers and date. http://www.skydevaaben.com/hvasno/info.xml
This site has lots of Husqvarna addict hanging around, you will have to register to post. http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdisplay.php?50-Swedish-Civilian-amp-Sporting-Firearms& . I love my Husqvarnas!!!!!!!!

I have looked at those at Tradex and wondered how they would be. I'm looking forward to hearing more about your cape gun.

If I'm reading it right, this site http://www.skydevaaben.com/allhvamodels/info.xml says it's a Model 17B, which came with either a 16 or 20 ga by 2.5" and a 12.17 x 44R barrel. Made between 1891 and 1942. I wonder if anyone knows how to date these by serial number?

I have a Husqvarna 12.7 x 44R rolling block from Tradex that I haven't got around to doing anything with yet, another reason I'll be looking for more of your experiences with this firearm.
 
While Skydevaaben site is OK, as it's a translation of the Husqvarna Jaktvapen book, the later is better as it contains pictures and a slightly better description (wihout translation errors). Also, the book itself is either incomplete or erronnous on some guns / details.

Gunboards is a good source (I am a long time member there) for HVA related stuff.

BTW, depending on caliber / intended use, the Cape Guns are found in straight and twist rifling configuration. The mecanism is of this one is the Lefaucheux lever action (ancestor of most break-top mecanisms circa +-1850).
The 12.7X44R is well served by either 60 to 70 grains of FFFG with a bullet of 0.512" of 350/370 grains.

The standard BP loads for 12 ga. 2 1/2" are;

From 1887 standard; 3 1/4 Dr. Eq. @ 1 1/4 Oz. (proof was 6 1/2 Dr. @ 1 2/3 Oz.) - the standard for 1 Oz. was 3 Dr.
From 1925 standard; 3 Dr. Eq. @ 1 1/8 Oz. (proof was 6 1/2 Dr. @ 1 11/16 Oz.)
 
Hey john haven't seen you in a while. I did some corn meal work last night. Made a bunch of corn dogs and corn smokies and corn swiss cheese for the big going away party for my neice headed to university.
 
Hey my friend that corn meal is good stuff, Guess if I don't get to shoot an old mule deer I can pull apart my buck loads and make some of those corn dogs.:rolleyes: I have to come and see you one of these days, take care.
Hey john haven't seen you in a while. I did some corn meal work last night. Made a bunch of corn dogs and corn smokies and corn swiss cheese for the big going away party for my neice headed to university.
 
Back
Top Bottom