Does anyone know if you can buy loaded black powder 45 colt ammo and where?

I know you can get it in the US. But even there it's a specialty item. Up this way? I'd suggest that it's time to get into reloading so you can do your own.

Besides, if you're shooting .45Colt on even a semi regular basis you can reload for pretty much 1/4 the cost for factory ammo.
 
I am literally looking for 10-20 rounds then will never shoot it again. Just hoping someone would havea few to sell.

Now that is a horse of a different colour! If I was closer, I would do up a few. Are you reloading? I would suggest getting into it, and just biting the bullet for buying a pound of FFG, for eventual forays into other bp adventures....

Or are you only planning on shooting the 45 itself a few times?

If you get desperate, a Lee Loader can be had cheap (around $30), and after using it and a partial pound of powder, you should be able to recoup about 70% of the cash outlay. About $4.20 for 100 primers, and I'm sure someone will part with a few cast bullets cheap...

But after you start, I am quite sure that you will be using more of it than you think.
 
If no-one else steps up to the plate, I can likely help. I've some Hornady 45 Schofield brass I've been cutting down into 455 ammo.
Won't be 45 LC, but rather a step down.
But I'm sure someone will help you before I get a chance, I'm not home til next week.
But I'm set to go with virgin brass and 250 grain lead bullets; swiss BP too
 
I am just setting up to load some 45 Colt with Black Powder and could do a few extra, I am almost certain that I can't send BP through the mail so shipping may be costly.
I am not a Licensed Re-Loader so I can't sell you any but if you cover the shipping I could send you some.
So far it looks like the load will be 28 grains of FFFG Goex under a 1/8 inch Nitro Card topped off with a 230 grain RN internally lubed bullet.
In the past I have had these wads hit the target a couple of inches from where the bullet hits and they actually punch a hole in the paper.
Any hoo if you still need some 45 BP Colt ammo let me know.
 
The original 45Colt was loaded with 28-40 grains of BP so these reloads will be on the lower end of the power scale, the bullets are a hard alloy of lead and measure .452 inches in diameter.
I have loaded these before and will test them out this weekend, I will also find out who will transport the BP cartridges and the cost.
What kind of gun are you going to shoot, I have a few SAA's now (all modern repro's) but use a Uberti copy of a black powder frame to shoot the black powder cartridges.
Here is a picture.

 
Last edited:
I will get the letter soon. Think it will be a great piece to add to the story. Plan to go to the NWMP burial site in Aylsbury and meet the people that may have known him from the town before the snow flies.
 
lg123565_zps9397a1c4.jpg
pistol_zps7425960d.jpg
lg123568_zpsb302b7ff.jpg
lg123567_zps1bb18c1d.jpg
lg123566_zps883fb27b.jpg
Skinny, I plan to fire a recent SAA I acquired.
 
does it have to black powder ?

Winchester makes cowboy action loads in 45 colt that are low pressure , if that is what your after ?

but they don't produce the black smoke and sparks like black powder does .

Let's keep in mind that the OP's gun was manufactured in 1895, on a black powder frame. Standardization of the cartridge head to recoil plate clearance was done in mid 1896 only. While Colt did not guarantee their revolvers for smokeless powder before 1898 it is safe to consider all SAAs unsafe until 1900 as they were using older parts. I have seen a few shooters shoot light reloads or cowboy loads without any problem in BP frames but for the OP one bad bang could make a difference between a nice valuable antique and a donors' gun.
OK
 
Didnt the bullet barn in BC use to manufacture .45 BP loads? Great guys over there they may be able to help you out.

Steve
 
Let's keep in mind that the OP's gun was manufactured in 1895, on a black powder frame. Standardization of the cartridge head to recoil plate clearance was done in mid 1896 only. While Colt did not guarantee their revolvers for smokeless powder before 1898 it is safe to consider all SAAs unsafe until 1900 as they were using older parts. I have seen a few shooters shoot light reloads or cowboy loads without any problem in BP frames but for the OP one bad bang could make a difference between a nice valuable antique and a donors' gun.
OK

for arguments sake , lets say the max pressure for 45 colt is 13,000 psi ..... how is 13,000 psi from modern ammo with smokeless different than 13,000 psi from blackpowder ?

if anything I would say that the modern ammo would be a safer bet because it would be more consistent than any black powder loading at the same pressure .
it is my feeling that blackpowder is more prone to pressure spikes because it is actually exploding rather than burning .
where in turn smokeless powder is actually burning rather than exploding .

so as long as it isn't some +p high performance loading , I can't see a smokeless loading being any more harmful than a blackpowder round .

and as antiques go , are these not some of the strongest ones out there ?
 
for arguments sake , lets say the max pressure for 45 colt is 13,000 psi ..... how is 13,000 psi from modern ammo with smokeless different than 13,000 psi from blackpowder ?

if anything I would say that the modern ammo would be a safer bet because it would be more consistent than any black powder loading at the same pressure .
it is my feeling that blackpowder is more prone to pressure spikes because it is actually exploding rather than burning .
where in turn smokeless powder is actually burning rather than exploding .

so as long as it isn't some +p high performance loading , I can't see a smokeless loading being any more harmful than a blackpowder round .

and as antiques go , are these not some of the strongest ones out there ?


There is a good sticky in the blackpowder/antiques section on using smokeless in BP guns. Makes for a good read.
 
Back
Top Bottom