Reloading for 577 snider

I shoot the Snider and have for some time.
I load both Trail Boss and FFG black , with a Jennkinson bullet that was design for the Snider and the mold marketed by Lee.
it is VERY accurate!
this is a 100 yard 6 shot group with 4 touching

50 yards offhand

This is what the bullet looks like/I use a Lube from Paul Mathews' book for lube, and have used a base wad, the most accurate combination being 74 grains of FFG, the case then filled with rolled oats, and the bullet seated on top.



Cat
 
Last edited:
I shoot the Snider and have for some time.
I load both Trail Boss and FFG black , with a Jennkinson bullet that was design for the Snider and the mold marketed by Lee.
it is VERY accurate!
this is a 100 yard 6 shot group with 4 touching

how much trailboss powder do you put in the loads? i use it for hand guns
 
I shoot the Snider and have for some time.
I load both Trail Boss and FFG black , with a Jennkinson bullet that was design for the Snider and the mold marketed by Lee.
it is VERY accurate!
this is a 100 yard 6 shot group with 4 touching

50 yards offhand

This is what the bullet looks like/I use a Lube from Paul Mathews' book for lube, and have used a base wad, the most accurate combination being 74 grains of FFG, the case then filled with rolled oats, and the bullet seated on top.



Cat

I'm curious: what is the catalogue no. of the Lee mold? What calibre?
Is it a special order?
 
It's not a special order, but I don't know the number, the mold is over at my buddy's place at the moment!
If you phone Higginson's however, and ask Andrew or Tom about the Snider mold that lee sells that Kerry Jenkinnson designed ( it's a two cavity) I'm sure they will know exactly what you are talking about!:>)
Cat
 
It's not a special order, but I don't know the number, the mold is over at my buddy's place at the moment!
If you phone Higginson's however, and ask Andrew or Tom about the Snider mold that lee sells that Kerry Jenkinnson designed ( it's a two cavity) I'm sure they will know exactly what you are talking about!:>)
Cat
Thanks for the info. I've tried some Minié bullets cast with a friend's mold that measure .585" but with limited success. I had thought the skirt of the h.b. would fill out and seal against the bore which seems to be just under .600". I'll check with Higginsons.
 
Are you casting an alloy? I use pure lead and add tin but I'm casting Minnies. That Jenkinson bullet looks a LOT easier to cast. Easier on the shoulder too as it can't weigh much more than a round ball. I thought that mold was a limited run? Cast Bullet Engineering in Australia makes a mold that is very similar to Kerries design...
 
Are you casting an alloy? I use pure lead and add tin but I'm casting Minnies. That Jenkinson bullet looks a LOT easier to cast. Easier on the shoulder too as it can't weigh much more than a round ball. I thought that mold was a limited run? Cast Bullet Engineering in Australia makes a mold that is very similar to Kerries design...

I checked today and it is in fact a custom mold, no numbers on it.
IIRC it's 480 grains.
Cat
 
I shoot the Snider and have for some time.
I load both Trail Boss and FFG black , with a Jennkinson bullet that was design for the Snider and the mold marketed by Lee.
it is VERY accurate!
this is a 100 yard 6 shot group with 4 touching

50 yards offhand

This is what the bullet looks like/I use a Lube from Paul Mathews' book for lube, and have used a base wad, the most accurate combination being 74 grains of FFG, the case then filled with rolled oats, and the bullet seated on top.



Cat


Good shooting!
 
Back
Top Bottom