If you had to get a new Shiloh Sharps what would it be ?

canoetrpr

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I'm smitten with a Shiloh that I just purchased. It is a plain jane Business Rifle 1874.

I'm going to be hunting antelope in Wyoming in Nov some 3 hrs away from the factory so I was thinking of stopping by so that I can look at the different rifles and finishes and make a call on what I like.

I don't plan on using this for matches but just for fun at the range and to pass down to my kids. Going to get each of my boys initials on each side of the receiver. So maybe a little bit of nice engraving.

Looking to spend about $3500 US on the rifle and sights so not a high dollar Shiloh.

What would you guys spend your money on with that budget ? Model? Wood?
 
I have a Shiloh military rifle with double set triggers,shotgun butt with checkered steel butplate, bone case colours and dovetailed front sight.If I were to get another it would be one of the new Shiloh 77Sharps, straight stock,shotgun butt traditional steel plate, half round 26 inch barrel in 45/70 and bone casecolouring and also pewter foreend tip.
 
Chasseur. If you have a picture of yours is sure appreciate it. In particular I don't really know what the different finishes look like, like the case colouring ?

Must say the 77 Sharps they have on their website (think they call it English Rifle) have caught my attention as well.
 
They will have a viewable specimen of most options available when you get to Big timber. The showroom isn't big but still the most drool opportunities per sq ft of anywhere I've ever been.

Don't pass up the opportunity to visit C. Sharps just down the street 1 block from Shilo. They have a better display showroom than Shilo concerning "the utensils" needed for shooting buffalo rifles.

Both times I was there they both had a rack of a few "previously ordered but undeliverable" finished guns of various options available to buy without the wait for an ordered gun.

Another "don't miss" while in Big Timber is the "Old Fort" trading post on the hiway thru town...Guaranteed you ain't never seen a gas station/liquor store like it in Canada...on of the best stocked gun stores per sq ft you will ever enter.
 
How does the importing process work with a shiloh? Is it worth going through Bill goodman? Are there any must haves when ordering a shiloh, or are the extras just icing on the cake?

OP, sorry for the slight hijack.
 
I got a long range express from the Shiloh factory a few years ago, imported through prophet river and it was a very smooth process (I wouldn't bother with Bill Goodman). A few things to consider. As I've tried other sharps of various calibers and configurations. Big mistake people make is too light of a gun with too big of a cartridge.

1. AA finish and semi fancy wood at the very least, anything below that the wood and finish is VERY plain. Their semi fancy wood will easily be the equivalent of other gun makers full fancy grade.

2. The stock barrel finish is a dull bead blast, keep that in mind if you're thinking you'l get a shiny blued barrel as stock.

3. Nothing bigger than 45-90 with the stock heavy barrel, and 45-70 is better. Everything you can do with the bigger cartridges you can do with the 45-70 as Shilohs will take ruger #1 loads, you can ask em when you visit. Once you go bigger you're into sissy pad territory, and very expensive brass. Try your business rifle from prone with no padding for 20 shots with 500+ grn loads and the allure of the big 45s and 50s start to dissipate.

I'l say it again, 45-70 doesn't look as cool but its all you need.

4. Steel shotgun butt plate, always. Military buttstock looks nice butt is nowhere near as comfortable to shoot as shotgun. The rubber butt plate is cheesy on a custom gun.

5. Pistol grip will really make shooting the gun more controllable and comfortable, especially if you mount a tang sight.


At your budget, you probably wont be able to squeeze in engraving unless the gun is kept stock (their engraving is quite expensive). My upgrades were a pewter tip, semi fancy wood, AA finish, accent line, steel shotgun buttplate. Added a set of MVA sights and the price at the factory was 3400 bucks US 3 years ago, that was when the dollar was above par and before Shiloh raised their prices. Not included are Prophet rivers fees, taxes, duties and shipping...........it adds up fast.

C Sharps has alot of guns on the rack that will likely be close to what you want, if you can deal with that you can save yourself several hundred to 1000 bucks and you can always get it engraved later.
 
Last edited:
Excellent thoughts. Thank you. 45-70 is what I'm after. I plan to sell my Business Rifle when I get this one.

Very much appreciate the thoughts on wood and barrel polish. So far the list of options on my list are:
- Semi Fancy wood + AA finish
- Pistol Grip
- Shotgun metal butt plate
- Pewter cap
- Heavy octagonal barrel - 30+ inches, maybe 34"
- LR Soule sight + front globe w. level.
- Double triggers (have them now and love them)
- Maybe French Gray receiver. Really need to see the other options up close to decide.

Quickly adds up to $3500 US+

I want to get as simple a job on the engraving as possible. Mostly want my kids initials. Not really sure what this will cost. Didn't think it was that much since the Quigley comes with engraving of initials?

I'm told it is easy to do the import directly from Shiloh and I don't need a middleman as it is direct from manufacturer. Prophet River will be my choice if I do need one.

Will check out C. Sharps also. Although the 18 month wait isn't a problem for me per se.
 
Shiloh uses Prophet River for all their exports to Canada. So add about 500-700 bucks in costs there.

Bright side is VAT tax does not apply to exported guns.

Edited to add: The 32 inch barrel is a nice combination in convenience of sight adjustment (you get a 36 inch sight plane, very handy with the verniers), weight and you dont have to pay as much attention to running out of bullet lube/lead fowling as you will with the 34 inch barrels. Theres a fella here who goes by the handle gunlaker, and he's quite a knowledgeable fella with the singleshots.
 
Last edited:
Shiloh uses Prophet River for all their exports to Canada. So add about 500-700 bucks in costs there.

Bright side is VAT tax does not apply to exported guns.

Edited to add: The 32 inch barrel is a nice combination in convenience of sight adjustment (you get a 36 inch sight plane, very handy with the verniers), weight and you dont have to pay as much attention to running out of bullet lube/lead fowling as you will with the 34 inch barrels. Theres a fella here who goes by the handle gunlaker, and he's quite a knowledgeable fella with the singleshots.

You referring to the 8.25% excise tax?

32" does sound perfect.
 
Remember, if you put your kids initials on one gun you will have a family squabble down the road so you might as well double the price right now as you will need two of them!!

Really, initials devalue an expensive gun at "estate sale" time, they are just meaningless marks on a gun to anybody else (unless, by sheer coincidence they have the same initials I guess).
 
Or keep the business rifle so you can have a target and a hunting gun.

Next one I order from Shiloh will be a business rifle, maybe in 40-50 straight so I can use old 303 brass.
 
My Shiloh is one of the early Big Timber ones back when C. Sharps made the barrels for Shiloh.
Bought from an estate sale its a 45 / 120 ( no choice here on the chambering ) and its an awesome shooter.
If I were buying another it would be a Big 50...
 
I've got a Shilo-Sharps #3 Sporting Rifle in .45-70 that I just love. Take fingers advice about visiting Big Timber, both companys show room are fantastic. My error was taking "the boss" with me. 10 yards before we got to both front doors I got "the speech" on why I couldn't spend $3,000-$5,000 that morning!
 
I've got a Shilo-Sharps #3 Sporting Rifle in .45-70 that I just love. Take fingers advice about visiting Big Timber, both companys show room are fantastic. My error was taking "the boss" with me. 10 yards before we got to both front doors I got "the speech" on why I couldn't spend $3,000-$5,000 that morning!

Ha Ha! "the speech" yup know it well... off by heart...Last time I was there a buddy was perusing the display rack and a very nice ,well thought out rifle caught his eye (extra fancy wood and a little tasteful engraving), retailed at $8900, he was reaching for his card when he got "the look"...she didn't even need the speech.
 
Back
Top Bottom